Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Physicists! Stupid theoretical Forth Road Bridge/Hovercraft question
  • vorlich
    Free Member

Ignoring how completely illogical and counter to the main benefit of using a hovercraft this question is for a second…

Given the bridge is now closed until the new year due to concerns of further damage by heavy traffic. I was wondering how much force a hovercraft would exert on the bridge deck, given it’s sitting on a cushion of air. Obviously air pressure will be exerted on the carriageway in order to provide lift, but how would that compare to the load exerted by a vehicle of similar weight?

If you drive a hovercraft halfway across, then switch it off, how does the load on the bridge deck change?

I assume this is fairly well understood by boffins out there. Would the dodgy bridge deck be effectively ‘insulated’ from the load, or would the difference/benefit be negligible.

Equasions/ridicule welcomed. 🙂

Doh1Nut

Exactly the same

but distributed evenly

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

The cushion of air must exert the same amount of force to the road as the mass of the hovercraft in order for it to hover?

scaredypants

forget hovercraft – hoverboards are what you need here

ac282

Force would be the same. Pressure would be much lower

scotroutes

The weight of the vehicle is still being borne by the structure of the bridge. However, there might be less “damage” as the weight is spread evenly rather than being carried by 2 or 3 axles. Also, as wheeled vehicles cross the bridge they are crossing various joins and other changes in road surface, causing more vibration. A hovercraft wouldn’t do this.

chiefgrooveguru

The same load, just spread evenly across it’s footprint, rather than as smaller high pressure loads at the tyre contact patches. So easier on the road surface but just as hard on the structure when static. Any vibrational/resonant loading will be much less or much lower in frequency.

househusband

Also, and part of this discussion, would be whether or not said hovercraft could easily make it up the bridge as it isn’t flat – has some curvature to it. Not sure at how good they are at going uphill? Just a question of thrust I guess.

imnotverygood

What about if the hovercraft was on a conveyor belt?

v8ninety

…vibration. A hovercraft wouldn’t do this.

Have you ever been near a full size hovercraft going full tilt? I’d imagine quite a lot of vibration would be transmitted. Y’know, as noise… Frequency may be a bit different, I suppose

fasthaggis

I think you would still be beter looking at a water based solution.

Hoverboard

vorlich
    Free Member

Some interesting photos here if you’ve not seen them.

maccruiskeen

Looks like they’ve been stripping that area ready to paint it….. makes you wonder how long its been broken for!

Although it doesn’t look like those links hold the bridge up – it looks like they keep the suspended deck in register with the tower.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Why not just send the hovercraft over the water?

vorlich
    Free Member

Why not just send the hovercraft over the water?

don’t be daft

Northwind

fasthaggis – Member

I think you would still be beter looking at a water based solution.

Maybe some sort of hovercraft?

thomthumb
    Free Member

thinking back to school physics this definitely can be answered by an elephant in stiletto heels.

or something.

Cougar

If you wanted to make it heavier you’d have to fill it full of eels.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hovercraft can go uphill relatively easily.
    The one that runs at the bottom of the road from my office has an incline to go up at either end.
    Not sure I’d want to be in a Hovercraft going over the bridge with a nice sidewind going on though…..

GrahamS
    HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

what about a ground effect vehicle going across the bridge into a headwind?

molgrips
    Free Member

I was wondering how much force a hovercraft would exert on the bridge deck, given it’s sitting on a cushion of air

What’s the cushion of air sitting on?

As above – the same, of course, given the hovercraft is not flying.

Speaking of hovercrafts, they really should get one of those old channel crossing ones and put it into service direct between Cardiff and Bristol.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Afternoon. I have a crate of canaries, that I’d like vorlich to take on his hovercraft over the bridge. And the possibility of a conveyor belt if that is of use?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/OYlBy85zxdo[/video]
    Who needs a bridge?

project
    Free Member

why cant they just allow cyclists and people who cant afford a bike to WALK accross.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/OYlBy85zxdo[/video]
    Who needs a bridge?

bearGrease

Vorlich, what exactly did you get up to during your school years? Ever heard of that bloke Newton?

vorlich
    Free Member

He’s the apple guy right?

kcal

that’s not a Newton, that’s an iPhone

IGMC…

integerspin
    Free Member

that’s not a Newton, that’s an iPhone

I recon it’s around 1-11/32 Newtons.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Physicists! Stupid theoretical Forth Road Bridge/Hovercraft question’ is closed to new replies.