Viewing 25 posts - 121 through 145 (of 145 total)
  • Phrases used on here that piss you off?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Good all day bike?

Persoanlly I like my bikes to be a bit naughty after 9o'clock.

nickc

The Americanisms really annoy me as they are often inaccurate and cheapen the language

The Scots must endlessly wind you up then, how on earth do you manage?

pearlbaz
    Free Member

the belief that every unidentified carbon based lifeform may be a 'Baby Robin'….FFS

IGMC

IanMunro
    Free Member

an mtb is wrong as it is the same as saying "an mountain terrain bike" – should be "a mtb"

Incorrect old bean. 'An' is used in front of words that have a vowel sound (though not necessarily a vowel) at the beginning. So MTB starts with the 'em' sound so should be preceded by an, whereas mountain starts with the 'mm' sound so should be preceded by a.

njee20
    Free Member

Anyone who says 'darkside' is clearly a c0ck, and needn't wonder why 'roadies' don't wave at them, it's because they're idiots.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Those that begin a sentence.

"I'm not racist but…" inevitably followed by a Daily Mail style rant.

Oh and its an MTB. And MTB = MounTain Bike. Where on earth did Multi Terrain Bike or Mountain Terrain Bike come from?

jimmy

When people out "Yay!".

You sound like an annoying American teen-show brat who's daddy just bought her fifth car of the year. Or at least, thats how I'm hearing it.

DaRC_L

Spelling loosing when you mean losing (gives TJ a hard stare) 🙂

AndyP
    Free Member

'all mountain' and so on. crock of marketing bollocks.

It's Singletrackworld.

When did you last see a road bike on your local singletrack, or in the magazine come to think of it (I don't buy the mag too often, so apologies if I'm wrong)?
    I rode a road bike on my local singletrack this morning, does that count?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

DaRC_L – Member

Spelling loosing when you mean losing (gives TJ a hard stare)
    😳

Nick

shitmano – yeah yeah their products are so crap and you are so hilarious, well done, go and get a job writing puns for tabloid bog paper

Nick

ghetto as a replacement for diy, you're not from Puerto Rico you 'tard you're from Swindon.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Ft Bill……it's Fort William, stop being so lazy

Weapon……..it's a bike, not a gun or exocet missile

jojoA1
    Free Member

If you wish to shorten Fort William, the only acceptable curtailment is "The Fort", just as the only acceptable shortening of Ben Nevis is "The Ben", never just "Nevis" [cringes].

I personally like to shout "Yay!"

Many of the other things don't bother me, as I see most of them as people's little efforts to lighten what can be turgid technical discussion and argument and I usually imagine they are being used ironically or tongue in cheek.

HTH 😉

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Nick – Member

ghetto as a replacement for diy, you're not from Puerto Rico you 'tard you're from Swindon.

pmsl

RepacK
    Free Member

Funny as **** Nick – "You're from Swindon".. 😆

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'm afraid I actually rather like most of this stuff. But I tend to assume that no-one is 100% serious about taking their steed on a road-trip. So I don't feel any anger towards myself when I wind out my forks and announce "my gnarl is adjusted to the max. Let us slay this trail." And make the horns. Ironically. 😀

Anyone remember toolmaker? The guy would simply post "Rad." in every thread, for months.

molgrips
    Free Member

You are not in California so don't use their terms. It makes you sound stupid and ill educated.

Hehe. Nice irony complaining about the use of imported terms actually in the medium of a language mostly consisting of imported terms 🙂

As for the other stuff like 'darkside' etc – they are actually jokes. That one in particular is a superficially pejorative term used as everyday terms by people who actually enjoy road biking. Personally, I find the texture of language created by people who weave eloquence together with stupid jokes and smart wit to be one of the most attractive things about this forum 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

You're from Swindon

which is actually a ghetto

WTF
    Free Member

Mleh.

nickc

When people tell me I should NEVER called it Nevis, it just makes me want to call it that all the more, knowing it's winding them up. Like Switchbacks, and fire-roads, for instance.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

"local" bearing shop, motor factors, machine shop!

as if we all have one of them!!

AndyP
    Free Member

As for the other stuff like 'darkside' etc – they are actually jokes. That one in particular is a superficially pejorative term used as everyday terms by people who actually enjoy road biking.

really? I've never met a road cyclist who uses the term 'darkside'. But then I ride with people over 8 years old.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

People who say "Really???"

I hate that. Makes me want to repeatedly own the perpetrator's face with a pair of Bombers, whilst saying "YES, REALLY YOU ****!"

Also saying pair when refering to a fork 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

big dummy-"my gnarl is adjusted to the max. Let us slay this trail."

Quality. I'll be using that at the start of every trail on my next ride!

Viewing 25 posts - 121 through 145 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘Phrases used on here that piss you off?’ is closed to new replies.