Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Photoshop question
  • tails
    Free Member

Okay I’m a bit of a muddler with Adobe never quite find enough tie to master the tools.

Anyway I’m trying to create a ruff watercolour effect and have looked online but must have grouped the wrong layers so my attempt failed.

So I have done the following

Open image > filter > texture > texturizer > change the settings to what I want.

Create new layer > Fill with colour > Opacity change so I can see the other layer

I would now like to cut into the layer with a brush so some areas are brighter than others (showing the layer behind)

How do I do this?

Thanks

tails
    Free Member

I think I need to select a transparent (no fill brush) but can’t seem to figure it out.

glenp
    Free Member

Get your head around Layer Masking. A Layer Mask is transparent where it is white, fully blocked when black, and all the shades in between – so you can paint the layer mask to get the effect you describe. I’d suggest the native Photoshop Help as a place to start.

Having said that, there is a pretty reasonable Watercolour filter in Photoshop anyway, so you might find that works better and easier.

tails
    Free Member

Yeah this layer mask is where I am going wrong, as I have to group the layers i think. Seems easy but I’m mucking up somewhere.

redthunder
    Free Member

Watercolour filter is good.

But I suggested resizing your image first to want you require. Say 1024 for the web for better effects.

glenp
    Free Member

Isolate the techniques first, so you understand them individually. Do some stuff on a single layer with a mask – fiddle around and sus out how it works.

Separately, work out grouping layers (if that’s what you need, not sure it is myself).

You can do a filled colour layer with an adjustment layer, which might give you more flexibility in terms of editing the colour. You can mask the adjustment layer, same as you can mask any layer. If you have a selection “in-hand” (live) it will be automatically applied as a mask when you make a new layer – so it is easy to duplicate a layer mask and avoid grouping the layers if that gets confusing.

alexxx
    Free Member

use a custom brush on an erazer

tails
    Free Member

thanks for the advice people, I’ll have a little play at the weekend if I can stomach any more computer screen viewing.

tails
    Free Member

This vid explains it perfectly. So if you have the time glen, why would I group two layers in this process?? To cut through both of them perhaps?

glenp
    Free Member

I’ll have to look at that later. Will let you know.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Photoshop question’ is closed to new replies.