Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Photos from our road trip around the Norwegian fjords last summer
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

If you have never been to Norway to ride then I can’t recommend it enough, me and a friend had the chance to do a road trip for a few days riding around the fjords and ended up riding in some pretty spectacular locations! The highlight of all that for me was a little town called Kaupanger, if you get the chance to go to Kaupanger… please go to Kaupanger!

I’ve just spent a few days putting together some photos and info from our trip so if you would like some inspiration to go ride there have a little look on the link below…

And if anyone else has ridden in Norway please share your photos! I am always up for drooling over Scandinavian landscapes on a Friday afternoon! (also – luck you!)

Norwegian road trip photos

downhilldave

Like that, thanks 😉

euanc
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks for sharing!

Myself and two others are flying into Oslo for eight days of bikepacking at the start of June, we are planning on doing it just by bike, potentially getting the train to Bergen and then making our way back to Oslo via as many good riding spots as we can manage, do you know is there much in the way of off road routes between places or will it be a case of a lot of road miles?

Kaupanger looks like a given, are there any areas in particular I should be looking at? We are not trying to see everything in one go so if there are and spots better than others that are easily accessible from Oslo it would be best.

nedrapier

Very nice! you did better than we did, we shoved the bikes in for mainly a camping holiday, but bikes as an option. Didn’t make finding really good riding a priority, just followed our noses from Kristiansand up to Stryn. Had some nice rides, but most were a bit hike-a-bikey!

And I don’t have any pics of that trip on Flickr, but as they’re still scandi landscapes, and riding of a certain sort, here’s some from the Lyngen Alps, far north of Norway.

pickle
    Free Member

wow! those pictures are superb, looks like it was a trip of a lifetime

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Great photos, Anus.

mick_r

Thanks for that – great write-up and photos.

We’ve been to Norway a couple of times and planning another trip sometime (just more difficult with family of 4 plus bikes whilst there are no Scandi ferries from UK).

Quick question from your time in Norway – we found quite a few mtb routes that used private toll “roads” (often gravel roads). Cars paid into the honesty box when using them – but what is the local bikers etiquette – Do they pay, and if so how much? (as often I could only translate a price for cars)

Marin
    Free Member

Great pics and write up. Norway is great I’ve worked out there and go back every year to sail or climb. Riding up round Alesund is ment to be pretty cool but the whole countries a postcard picture. Just wish the ferry from Newcastle would start again. The scenery is so good the beer feels like a bargin-almost.

Matt_SS_xc

What’s the midge situation in July/august? Looks amazing, fear of a scottish level puts me off!!

peatybike
    Free Member

Amazing pictures- My son is taking a gap year from September onwards, and this should definitely be on his list! What riding is most common out there? Steep tech, or more flowing style?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Very cool anus. 🙂
    I’m over the border in Östersund and am planning on doing some of the 80/20 enduros , perhaps some are near where you have ridden. Very inspirational cheers!

matt_outandabout

That’s proper ace.

billyboy
    Free Member

I was out there about 14 years ago…must get back with a bike before I get too old.

Thanks for posting.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Great write up and pics. I particularly like that one by the hut in Geirangerfjord. I’d like to go!

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Not sure I can answer many of these questions but i’ll have a go…

@euanc – Sounds like a great trip! Maybe you already know but trains there are pretty slow (lots of little stops) but they are very nice, clean and efficient, you have to pay a half price ticket for you bike or if you put it in a cardboard box it is free (yeah you tell me the logic?). As for locations – I think there would be a lot around Kaupanger/Sogndal and if you look on my page at Molde that we rode the day before Kaupanger it is actually just along the road. I also spent some time in a place called Vang which I know has some trails and I know some people there who ride so could maybe even put you in contact if you fancy. I don’t know of a lot of the type of trails you say but then I am sure there are that type of thing since ‘Terrengsykkel’ is a big thing in Norway which is basically riding xc bikes on gravel roads fast. You would do well to get scouring these two maps for trails

OS style maps for Norway

Specific MTB map of Norway This one is REALLY good for finding trails

@nedrapier – We drove past Stryn! They are some flippin great photos! Really like them, I just had my phone camera. It looks like you had a lot more snow than us, what time of year did you go?

@mick_r – I used a couple of those, sometimes on my own, sometimes with Norwegian friends, no one ever mentioned about paying while on bikes…

@Matt_ss_xc – July / August are basically the only two months I wasn’t there, I arrived in Sept and left in June but never really experienced midges at all to be honest!

@howsyourdad1 – You really weren’t far from me then, I was living in Trondheim and we even wen’t riding over in Åre one weekend!

@Santacruzsi – You must go at some point, Geriangerfjord and surrounding area are spectacular

euanc
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply, I did not know about having to pay extra for bikes! Lots of good info there cheers, I may be in contact closer to the time when I have more planned!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Did you ever ride Rundemanen in Bergen?

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

I never made it as far south as Bergen unfortunately, well as far south west. Managed to get right up north and did a bit of riding at Bodø up in the arctic circle which was pretty cool (in both senses of the word), photos are a bit crap like but here you go

Bodo ride

munrobiker
    Free Member

Cracking stuff that, I’ve always fancied riding in Norway. Hopefully I’ll have the opportunity soon.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I go to Bergen every year. This year I may take the road bike, but I’m told there’s some decent riding there seeing as it’s in the middle of 7 mountains!

Bodø looks cool! One day when I’m retired I reckon 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Photos from our road trip around the Norwegian fjords last summer’ is closed to new replies.