Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Photography/lighting question.
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

I’m setting up an area in my mancave in which to take photos. I’m trying to decide the best position for it. I’m just starting to learn about photography so bear with me.

Here’s an excellent rendering of my room.

So, is it best to set up in area 1 or area 2. My logic tells me that there could be benefits to both. If I set up in area 1. The light from the windows will get to the lens. If I set up in area 2, the light from the windows will illuminate my subject.

So, what do the snappers of STW think? Like I said: just learning, but find it really interesting so all opinions valid. I also have a continuous lighting setup so perhaps it’s irrelevant where I situate the area?

Thanks

perchypanther
    Free Member

Photography?

Eh? Eh?

Say no more!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What you taking pics of…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

No chance in the UK the light is all wrong.

Pyro

So, what do the snappers of STW think?

I think I hate being referred to as a fish… 😐

(Less facetiously: utterly depends what you’re shooting, how much light’s coming through the window, whether you’ve got curtains/mesh/drapes up, whether you want direct or diffuse light, whether you’re adding flash or any other internal lighting, etc etc ad nauseum. There’s no simple answer.)

jambourgie
    Free Member

Ah ok.

It’s small-product photography. Phone cases / T shirts etc. But Id also like to have the option of having a model in to well, model the products. I have some big ‘ol rolls of backdrop paper so want to situate those correctly first time.

molgrips
    Free Member

Using light from windows is problematic, because it varies so much. But otherwise what Pyro says. If it’s product/still life photography then put it in spot 2 and draw the curtains.

Pyro

Small items like phone cases etc (IMHO) you’d be best getting a little light tent, then either lighting it with flashes or a known colour temperature continuous setup and working from there. That makes the position pretty irrelevant.

Backdrop paper and model (again IMHO), you’d likely be better at pos 2, so you’re not backlighting the area too much and potentially underexposing the subject/having to fire up the big lights to balance things.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

It makes more sense to get blinds/boards to block the windows completely and use artificial light because it’s controllable, repeatable and available whenever you are. The sun wanders all over the place, doesn’t work nights and gets all diffuse when there are clouds about.

I sit here writing this at a desk I’m also trying to photograph, making the most of natural light coming through the big bay windows because I want the effect of sunlight. It’s perfect when the sun is on full, but can I get a consistent look to my photos? Nope.

kayak23

What are those 3 holes for in the garden?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The previous models

jambourgie
    Free Member

Interesting, thanks everyone. The windows have blackout blinds so I’m good there.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Mortar craters. I live on a battlefield.

johndoh
    Free Member

As above – a lighting tent makes so much more sense – you’ll get a much more controllable and uniform light.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Given that we seem to have resolved the question within one pege, they’re the rabbit holes down which this thread will now ultimately disappear.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Photography/lighting question.’ is closed to new replies.