Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Photographic Lighting Advice
  • tomzo
    Free Member

Right folks, basically I need some advice on how i can light the inside of a cardboard box….The inside of the box is covered in images and numbers (black and white) and i want this to be really lit up as the image of the box will then be photoshopped into a grungy dark urban photo.

Whats the best way to light this, considering the fact that the only equipment I've got is a D40….no external flashes…but a plethora of household lights and bright torches.

Thanks!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sounds like it is time to experiment…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

60W bulb in the middle of a circle of white card with another hole in it to poke the camera lens through

done similar with super 8 film so should work for stills

poor man's ring flash

stumpy01

erm……describe the box? I take it it's not got 6 sides? Has it got no top, and you'll be photographing from above or what? How big is it?

Can you describe the scene a bit clearer?
    Where will you be shooting from/where is the box etc.

Do you have a tripod? And can you control how bright/dark the room is? If you can't, what type of exposure do you anticipate for the room to be as you want it exposed in your shot?
    My first thought would be to make it pretty dark & then set a long exposure (seconds) and shine a torch into the box to illiuminate it.

Or take two exposures using the camera mounted on a tripod – one exposing the room how you want it & the other exposing the box. Overlay them in photoshop & mask off everything but the box in your 2nd exposure.

EDIT – forget all that crap above. Just read your thread properly…….

Either make a ring light as suggested or use torches to 'paint' the box.

tomzo
    Free Member

The box is a 30x30X30 cm. It has one side open so you can look into it.

I've already shot the location of where the box is going (on a road) but now i need to photograph the box itself. I want to photograph the box so you look inside of it

So basically it would be me photographing this, but focusing more on the green stuff inside. The box would be shot in a "studio" situation..

Thanks for all the advice guys! Will give the ring light a go and report back!

tomzo
    Free Member

double post.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Camera on tripod (assuming you have one)…
    Anglepoise lamp (you know the type – conical metal shade) hand held in whaetver position suits best, use free hand or self timer to fire the camera?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Photographic Lighting Advice’ is closed to new replies.