Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Photographic eq of STW.
  • duckman

I know there are a few camera guys/girls on here. What is the pic taking eq of this place?

deadkenny
    Free Member

dpreview is maybe closest in terms of inane forum discussion 😀

Talk Photography is okay. Though I was mainly interested in the meet ups, but it’s all gone quiet.

ade9933
    Free Member

ephotozine used to be good. Not bothered for a while.
    Flickr is obvs the biggest but comments generally less useful.

you looking to learn, sell or just have people say ‘nice pic’?

There are smaller more specific sites where people will have knowledge of your areas of photography if you want to learn.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MussEd
    Free Member

Second Talk Photography but the endless amount of sub-forums is the absolute antithesis of STW. Sometimes difficult to keep track of threads as I forget where I read them in the first place(although it’s easy enough to ‘watch’ threads obvs)

5thElefant
    Free Member

If you mean the constant bickering from a predictable few then it has to be dpreview.

Dyxum is an informative and civilised alternative, but Sony based.

The only other one I look at is luminous landscapes, but they’ve just gone paywall for content, forum is still open, but I can’t see them being around for long.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Nikonians used to be good for Nikon users but they went up their own arse and went paywall also. Not sure what the deal is now as seems free to register but still mentions membership but then they’re trying to raise funds. $100k they want! It’s only a bloody forum site. I never understood their argument of costs.

duckman

I am looking to learn. My g12 has now got the dreaded lens error and to be honest I spend loads of time up the hills and took lots of pics,but never tried enough with the settings. As it is £140 to repair my g12 I will be replacing it with a Sony 100 and have decided to learn to use it.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The only other one I look at is luminous landscapes, but they’ve just gone paywall for content, forum is still open, but I can’t see them being around for long.

It’s a shame they went pay for; I liked the site and used to regularly visit but I don’t bother anymore.

The Phoblographeris an excellent site and often has articles focused on technique and knowledge as well as many featured photographers. It’s more skewed to urban/street/portrait photography than landscape though.

Also have a look at Photography Life. That site is a lot like Luminous Landscape and also features tutorial focused articles but is crucially also still free to view.

Steve Huff Photo has a nice feel to it. It’s more gear focused and it’s by no means an independent review site as Steve freely admits he only reviews gear he likes, but he’s a nice guy and he features lots of other ordinary photographers work on a daily basis so it has a strong community feel to it, without that beind done through a forum.

DrJ

It’s a shame they went pay for; I liked the site and used to regularly visit but I don’t bother anymore

Yeah -I decided I was not going to cough up for a subscription just because the way they went about it pissed me off a bit. At the time I thought that I would probably change my mind and pay up eventually but I haven’t, and I haven’t really missed it.

Maybe a lesson for STW – much as we imagine our lives would be a desert without the forum, if it really does get burdensome with pop-up ads, skimlinks and wotnot, it is actually possibly to survive without!!

AlexSimon

I used to prefer the camera section of AVforums, but I haven’t been on there for a few years now.
    It used to be just big enough that you could get answers and just small enough that you got to know people. The monthly photo comp was a great motivator for me in the first couple years of my photography too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Photographic eq of STW.’ is closed to new replies.