Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Photographers; I need help choosing a "starter" camera
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A friend wants to start taking pictures. They don’t want a full DSLR. They’re looking at this camera, although it’s quite expensive….

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Interchangeable-Digital-Camera-SELP1650/dp/B00IE9XHE0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1441918819&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+a6000

They don’t have much of an inclination to do any tweaking on the computer afterwards, they just want to take nice pictures.

I suggested a cheaper compact camera for around the £150 – £200, something that’s fully manual should enable them to learn how to take proper pictures, plus they’ll know if they enjoy it or not.

Is there anything in the £150 – £200 bracket that’d do for learning/taking nice photos with? Or is the £500 Sony worth the extra money?

Thank you!

cp

I’ve got an a5000, is superb, much better image quality than a to pick compact. Whether someone new to photography would tell the difference is a different matter.

Check the Sony UK outlet store for end of line cheapness.

mafiafish
    Free Member

I have the above camera and wile it’s best-in-class (and better than an DSLR <£800), there’s still much to be said for high-end compacts for a beginner. Sony’s own line are very impressive but th best ones are even pricer than the A6000.

the A6000 is due to be replaced soon so there should be an improved version available by the time your friend graduates from a compact.Or simply the a6000 will be available for less.

jimjam
    Free Member

Another happy A6000 owner here. Brilliant camera and better than a lot of DSLRS costing a lot more. I’m glad I got rid of my DSLR. I almost always shoot in manual mode and use old mechanical lenses so I couldn’t use a fixed lens compact although as mafiafish says, some of Sony’s offerings look incredible.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The a6000 is exceptionally good and lacks nothing compared to a DSLR (which can’t be said of cheaper options). There is a rumoured a6100 on the way, allegedly, but the a6000 is already discounted, so waiting for an a6100 will mean more cost.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

thanks for the replies; I know next to nothing about photography!

Clearly that Sony is a decent camera; is there anything in the £150 – £200 bracket anyone would recommend? Something that’s fully manual?

nickjb
    Free Member

You can get some very good pictures out of a much cheaper compact. My lumix LX3 takes lovely images and has a huge range of manual options. Being small and cheap you are more likely to have it in you pocket when there is something worth picturing. You will get more by spending more but it’s is a diminishing return and by far the weakest link is the user.

This is an older model and will be well under budget. Not sure on the latest ones (LX7?)

hilldodger
    Free Member

Fuji X20 can be had for just over £200, worth a look….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

THanks, that loks like it gets god reviews.

also found this, which i guess is a similar sort of thing… Panasonic TZ70/ZS50

5thElefant
    Free Member

Clearly that Sony is a decent camera; is there anything in the £150 – £200 bracket anyone would recommend? Something that’s fully manual?

You won’t get a view finder and a big sensor so you’ll be stuck with using the rear screen, or with cheap compact cameras (which is what you’ll be looking at) the sensor is so small having manual controls doesn’t do much compared with auto.

For a bit more cash the RX100 is worth a look with a biggish sensor, or the sony a5000 has a large sensor (similar to the a6000 without the view finder).

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Samsung Galaxy Note 4

kbomb
    Free Member

Sony RX100 Mark 1’s can be had second hand for £200. Small compact camera with full manual controls should you want it, as well as taking great photos in Auto mode.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Perhaps your firend might want to consider a secondhand camera initially incase they realise they dont like it as much as they thought they might.

I started off with a Finepix HS30EXR which is 16mo and has a HUUGE zoom, lots of modes from full auto to full maunal to everything in betweem. I really enjoyed using it and it got me back into photography.
    REVIEW HERE
    I’ve since purchased a didigtal SLR so my old fuji is available for £120 if they’re interested, drop me a mail.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Worth looking at MB Photographic for a used one –

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-nikon-digital-slr-cameras/

You’d get something like a Nikon D3100 & kit lens for less than 200 quid.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4

😀 Probably the best shout so far; at least they’ll be able to browse the internet on it after they’ve got bored of pissing about with F stops.

Second hand is not an option, and neither is a full SLR

Matt-P
    Free Member

Another very happy A6000 owner here. But whatever he goes for, this site is your friend:

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk

scotabroad

I got a Panasonic LX7 a couple of years ago and its an excellent “proper” camera. A compact but can be used in a variety of different modes including fully manual and macro. Very versatile and excellent Leica lens. Look at grey imports to get a good deal

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Photographers; I need help choosing a "starter" camera’ is closed to new replies.