Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Photographers – Help with printing required.
  • trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Afternoon all.

I have a coupe of photos that I’m wanting to print out to quite a large size (yes, very specific size I know), so I can frame them and hang them on the wall.

I have the original files in Lightroom, but can you give me some advice, or a link to a good online tutorial to help me get the best out the settings, so that I will be able to get the best quality I can in order to print to the largest possible size I can. (Does that make sense ?)

Still learning Lightroom, and I don’t want to order a print to find out I messed up the setting, because I exported it incorrectly.

Thanks

PrinceJohn

It is a bit of a how long is a piece of string question, depends on the size of the original image, how much it’s been cropped etc..
    Best format to export it in is a tiff as it’s loseless.

mrjmt
    Free Member

16 bit colour too.

Speak to your printer though, find out the native resolution of their machine.

hunta

These guys are great. If you’re every in London it’s worth dropping by, otherwise they should be able to help via phone etc. too:
    https://www.theprintspace.co.uk/FAQ
    https://www.theprintspace.co.uk/PhotoshopAndColourManagementTechniques

If you’re happy to work a lot out yourself these guys are also very good and very helpful, but cheaper:
    https://www.proamimaging.com/home.php

ampthill

You have 3 options. To be honest it doesn’t matter that much. But the more you enlarge the more it matters.

Option 1 output from lightroom the native file size and send it for printing. Let the printer enlarge it. To be honest this is probably as good as anything.

Option 2 let lightroom enlarge the file the size you want and the dpi that the printer recommends. this will remove any file size warnings but probably result in the same results as options 1

Options get really obsessed about how to enlarge it. Buy a copy of genuine fractals and use that. Or try something like the Roman Johnson method which will require photoshop and I can’t find the link to at the moment. This might help in for extreme enlargement

Now for a useful hint

You need to crop a small part of the picture and print it at the proper size. Then you can see if the quality is good enough for the use you will put it too.

This takes a bit of thinking about in Lightroom. Infact although i could tell you how to do it in photoshop but not lightroom. maybe some one elase know

PrinceJohn

This takes a bit of thinking about in Lightroom. Infact although i could tell you how to do it in photoshop but not lightroom. maybe some one elase know

Yeah – first thing I would do is put it into photoshop!

Another good trick is to enlarge it to the file physical size in a file, then view @ 100% on your screen, this will give you an idea of how pixelated or not the final image might be.

This might help & this

stumpy01

What is “quite a large size”?

I printed a 4mp image from an old digital camera poster size (16×20″, I think) and it came out fine.

Unless you are printing a massive poster, it shouldn’t be an issue.

A bigger problem can sometimes be monitor calibration – what you see on your screen might not be what you receive in terms of colour/brightness etc.

If you upload the file to photobox, when you select the print size it gives you an indication of how well the print will turn out based on the size of the image and the size of print you want. I suspect most of the bigger online printing places will do similar.

poah
    Free Member

dscolour labs to large prints cheaply, most places that use fuji frontiers will either want the file as an 8 bit sRGB or with the particular profile assigned to the image.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Cheers all for the advice, been wrestling with the problem all last night, but manged to get what I wanted, and had the files sent off to dscolour labs.

I’ll see how they turn out and post up the results if they turn out to be any good.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Photographers – Help with printing required.’ is closed to new replies.