Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Photochromic lenses that work properly?
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

I own a pair of photochromic glasses, by Riders, first pair Ive ever owned. I like them, however they always have a dark tint to them when I’m outside, today in the wet they were still quite dark. They do go a bit darker in the sun but I’d like to have ones that stayed clearer in dull / over-cast conditions.
    Anyone got any that work well?

Houns

Yup, Oakley

njee20
    Free Member

Just because they’re photochromic doesn’t mean they go clear, the Spesh ones used to be quite dark.

Got some Oakley Clear Black Iridium ones, and they seem great. Wear them at night with no issues.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Just because they’re photochromic doesn’t mean they go clear,

They go clear when I bring them back indoors and that’s about it.

tonyg2003

The Rudy Project ones are good. You can also get varying starting tints.

bigG
    Free Member

Oakley photochromic are completely clear indoors, and no notable tint unless its clearly a bit less dismal than normal. Bear in mind though, they are activated by UV and you can’t escape those UV rays when you’re outside .

G

fontmoss
    Free Member

^I’d say that was pretty accurate, love my oakley clear-black photochromics but dark to some degree whenever you step outside. Not found it a problem but sometimes if I stop and take my sunnies off it seems dark when put them back on.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My Rudy’s go totally clear but not very dark, yet they still seem to keep the sun out & I don’t squint. Odd but effective.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

the Spesh ones used to be quite dark.

Spesh did/do two sorts. The off road ones are orange and light, road ones red and dark. Orange ones are fine for road riding with lights (better than my Oakley persimmon/black photochromics – they go much darker but don’t go as light).

njee20
    Free Member

Spesh did/do two sorts. The off road ones are orange and light, road ones red and dark. Orange ones are fine for road riding with lights (better than my Oakley persimmon/black photochromics – they go much darker but don’t go as light).

Correct, but neither went totally clear. My point being that a photochromic lense isn’t ‘rubbish’ because it doesn’t go entirely clear. Personally I never got on with the off road ones, but found the road ones pretty good.

But as I said, I can recommend the Clear Black Iridium Oakleys, which have a very wide range.

Kryton57

Anyone got a link / know of a website where I can find Radar persimmon / black photochromic?

I’ve managed to find complete glasses for £152 but I really want just that lense…..

njee20
    Free Member

Why not the clear black iridium, which has a wider range? I know when I tried to get Radar photochromic lenses it was nye on impossible, Oakley uk were very cagey on availability. Jawbone ones were more common.

Kryton57

I thought I’d like to have persimmon. But I guess I’m not too bothered…..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Photochromic lenses that work properly?’ is closed to new replies.