Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Photochromic glasses…
  • Kryton57

I want clear to black, for road & mtb night riding and general/summer use.

As I have Oakley Radar Path already and my face suits them, do I just bite the cash bullet and go for the Photo – clear to Black Iridium or is there a viable cheaper option out there?

globalti
    Free Member

Nope. But find a decent local optician and “discuss” the price.

Photochromic looks very dark to other people but you hardly notice the tint when you’re wearing them.

Kryton57

I’ve got some Rudy Projet Rydons – old and pitted nosepiece by sweat – that would be the comparison. How “clear” are the Oakleys?

gren
    Free Member

Got a set of Radar Paths with clear black iridium photo chromic lenses. Great in all but the brightest sun and perfect in and out of the trees.

Expensive but worth it. Missus has prescription versions in her half jackets

scotroutes

I wear prescription Oakley photochromics for all my cycling – day and night.

househusband

…is there a viable cheaper option out there?

£55 Bolle photochromic on eBay..?

RustySpanner

Joo Janta 200 Super Chromatics.
    Great if you can find a pair.

Kryton57

Looks like £112 for the radar lenses is the option then.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Search ebay for ‘oakley radar path walleva’. These are a 3rd party lens made to fit the frames. I have some in my Fast Jackets. They are a bit thinner than the oakley lenses but just as optically perfect. £46 including shipping for polarised transitions.

Kryton57

Oooh. Will do, thanks

Rubber_Buccaneer

Good to hear a recommendation for the walleva lenses as I recently bought some for my split jackets. They transmit between 12% & 40% according to the blurb which should suit me most of the time but something that goes much nearer to clear would have been better.

Kryton57

I looked into this

Walleva’s = 40%
    Oakleys = 66%
    Rudy’s = 78%

Looks like I may have to rely on the old Rudy’s for evening rides but I may buy those Walleva’s for the summer anyway.

househusband

Are Walleva lenses better quality than Revant..?

(Have some of the latter.)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have a pair of Persimmon to Black Iridium Flack Jacket XLJs. Oakley didn’t make this lens for long, and I think I know why. It renders almost every other lens totally redundant. It’s utterly brilliant beyond compare.

Fine at night, as long as you have lights.
    In overcast, it’s as good as a normal persimmon.
    Bit brighter? As good as my beloved VR28.
    Full on brightness? Well, Mrs CFH uses them to ski in (She can’t get on with goggles) and they’re dark enough for use in Serre Che sunshine. And trust me, it gets bright up there on the snow!

A shame they stopped making it, IMHO.

Kryton57

That’s most unhelpful CFH, thanks. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Tifosi do a few versions of Photochromic.
    Love the ones i have, wear them all the time

Kryton57

Ah yes – the “Light Night” lense Goes to 76% good call.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I think CFH has shares in certain companies so Caveat Emptor.

thomsonb
    Free Member

Check out Julbo’s zebra light lens …my choice … Pipelines

http://www.julbo-eyewear.com/en/sunlens-simulator.html

scotroutes

That’s the lens I have too. Gutted to hear they’re no longer available.

Kryton57

Check out Julbo’s zebra light lens …my choice … Pipelines

Only up to 40%. – I wpuldnt do I night ride in those.

thomsonb
    Free Member

Zebra lens comes in standard Zebra and the Zebra light … 80%

Kryton57

Ok, I looked at the zebra light on an Amazon link and it stayed 40%. I could be confined at 80% though. Got a link?

thomsonb
    Free Member

http://www.julbo-eyewear.com/en/sunlens-simulator.html

Click on the NXT button on the rhs..

spicer
    Free Member

I use them on my jawbones, only for road riding though. They don’t adjust instantly, but have to admit I haven’t really tried them on the mtb as I didnt want them getting all scratched up. Great on the road, mainly for when you’re descending and go in and out of shade.

Sundayjumper

I’ve got Black Iridium Transitions. The quoted 66% might be misleading, they are very nearly clear in low light. I’ve never felt they go dark enough in bright light though.

Kryton57

I’m down to deciding between the oakley lenses, and the Rudy Projects. Style over function IMO, so im going to spend some mirror time this afternoon deciding which provides more of a gnar look when paired with my helmet. 😀

Milkie
    Free Member

I cannot find any info on the Endura range, no information on their website. 😐
    I want to know how big they are and if they will make my small face look like this:

This is exactly what my Specialized ones look like.

nemesis
    Free Member

I took a pic this weekend of my clear-black iridium transitions in really bright sun. This is about as dark as they go IME – similar to the standard grey lens, maybe a fraction less dark. (they look a bit darker in the pic than in reality)

Kryton57

I chose the Oakley lense as I do have the Rudy’s already (plus a spare racing red photochromic lense) they just need a cleanup. Its coming this afternoon so its a good week in which to test them out.

Russell96

Don’t get the Endura Masai good glasses but they do not do any spares for them.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Photochromic glasses…’ is closed to new replies.