Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Photochromatic cycling glasses?
  • roverpig

I thought I’d better start another thread rather than divert the existing sunglasses one. I’m after a recommendation for some photochromatic cycling glasses. My main requirement is that they go very clear as I’d like to be able to use them for all rides (for protection) including night rides. They don’t need to go too dark as I mostly ride in Scotland 🙂 Speed of change is also important as most rides involve dipping in and out of forested areas.

scotroutes

I use Oakley transition lenses day and night and they’re pretty much perfect.

njee20
    Free Member

Photochromic, no ‘at’ in there.

I’ve got some Oakley Clear Black Iridium ones which are fantastic, go totally clear to really dark. Not cheap though.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Endura, about 1/3 of the price of Oakleys & you dont feel quite so gutted when you lose/trash them!

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve got some Oakley Clear Black Iridium ones which are fantastic, go totally clear to really dark. Not cheap though.

+1

Really excellent – take a couple of minutes to go clear when you go in to trees etc but otherwise perfect

Northwind

Tifosi do some that go clear/almost completely clear… Extreme Contrast IIRC. Sort of funny shaped frames though.

I’ve got some enduras on the way, they go to a light orange tint instead of clear but allegedly that’s good for night vision… Will find out I guess!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Google “Tifosi Light Night Fototec” for different styles / frames.

Lenses clear enough for night riding. Dont go very dark in the brightest sun though.

teef
    Free Member

Endura – there are 2 types of Endura photochromatic glasses – one has a much larger range (80%-20%) – £65+. If they’re about £35 they’re not so good (40%-10%).

http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=138&prod_id=557

See my post in the other thread re Tifosi Mast – light night Fototec. Impressed so far

roverpig

Thanks.

Photochromic? Fair enough. The “at” seems to get put in quite a lot as far as I can see, but does seem redundant.

I did read a review somewhere about an Endura set that sounded ideal. The review mentioned them going very clear. But I can’t remember which model that was and Endura seem to make a whole load.

I have tried to buy a pair of Oakleys in the past but it just gets too confusing with all the different frame and interchangeable lense options. I could never work out whether the ones I was looking at came with the lenses I wanted 😳

These are to replace a pair of Sinners (with interchangeable lenses) that broke after a crash. The Sinners fogged up pretty easily and it was a faff changing lenses to suit each ride. Actually they survived the crash with just a few hairline cracks, which then got worse each time I changed the lenses, until they fell apart last night. Just before a very buggy ride 🙁

edit: Thanks. I’ll look for expensive Endura’s and those Tifosi.

imnotverygood

Laser argon (White) they go from 25-75% transmission. Good lenses £40 from eBay

scotroutes

Aye – mine are prescription lenses so I stuck with it.

Kryton57

I’ve some rudy project rydons which go from 5 to 70%.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

shimano did some, they go to about 10% clear (unscientific about) then you can swap the lens to a proper clear one.

roverpig

I think the ones I saw reviewed must have been the Endura Masai as they were apparently in Singletrack 82, which would make sense.

PinGlasgow
    Free Member

+1 for Tifosi Light Night Fototec

maurizio
    Free Member

Rudy projects! Plus the lens comes with a lifetime warranty 8O. You have to like reddish shades tho

bigG
    Free Member

+1

Really excellent – take a couple of minutes to go clear when you go in to trees etc but otherwise perfect

And another clear black iridium prescription lenses wearer here. Really really good in my opinion, but eye wateringly expensive I have to admit

mrblobby
    Free Member

Any of the Endura ones suitable for a pin head? The ones I’ve tried all seem huge.

nickb

I have a spare pair of these if you’re interested…
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/EYEMAX-SUNGLASSES-SHINY-WHITE-VARIOCHROM/dp/B008H3YED6

Great specs, great condition, complete with hard case.

Could do for £25 posted?

email in profile if interested,
    Cheers,
    Nick

Sui
    Free Member

If no one else wants nicks specs, then I will….. :mrgreen:

roverpig

Thanks for the offer nick, but I’ve just hit the buy button on the Endura Masai. The Singletrack review said that they were clear enough for night rides, didn’t go too dark and didn’t fog on sweaty climbs. Plus they were in stock at CRC, so a simple job to add to an order that I was making anyway. They are also a bit cheaper than Oakleys, so a bit less painful when I break them, as I’m bound to do sooner or later. Pity I didn’t see yours in time though, as that sounds like a great deal.

Thanks all.

Andy

DanW
    Free Member

If you decide you are not keen on the Enduras when they arrive I would also recommend looking at Uvex.

I have just bought the Uvex Active Variomatic for around £50 with a stated range of 8-80%. I have tested them from bright sunshine to a 1 mile tunnel (with only very low level lighting- no bike light) and they have been great in all situations. My concern was also that they go clear enough since super sunny days are few and far between in the UK and I am not in the slightest bit disappointed 🙂

They are super light weight and hard to feel on the bike. No fogging as yet and they even worked well in the rain where my previous glasses wold have been useless- the water runs straight off the Uvex. The lenses and overall quality get great reviews so they would have definitely been worth a look.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

The oakleys are great but I would say that as I’m selling mine on ebay right now.

Seriously though I am only selling them because I’ve moved house and am not cycling nearly enough to justify keeping them. I live in Dundee and have used them in all conditions and found them to be perfect in all types of light. They’re particularly useful for those evening rides where it starts out fairly grim and ends in a dazzling low sun when it finally sets beneath the clouds. The only down side is the price I guess but that’s all debatable; they are Oakleys and they are really good so whether they’re worth it or not is up to the individual. I’d recommend them though.

If you’re interested in some that are used but in good condition check out mine – http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/whereisthurso/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Selled
    Free Member
    ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve got Oakley Clear Black Iridium ones too. Pretty impressed.

jairaj

I used to have Specialized photochromatic lens. at the tiem they came in two flavours Road and MTB. The MTB lens was more transparent as we’re often riding in woods under trees. This seemed to work well for me had no issues if I went into very shaded bits they went transparent enough for me to still see where I was going before they had a chance to change.

aP
    Free Member

New Rudy Project impactX lenses aren’t pink any more – they’re clear turning dark.

njee20
    Free Member

The Spesh ones were pretty good, preferred the road ones myself, the Arcs were nice glasses. Scratched badly though, and the Oakleys go lighter and darker than either. They were a pretty good price though, and preceded a lot of the other photochromic options (Oakley included).

molgrips
    Free Member

Are those clear black iridiums new then? Cos my older ones only go to 50% transmission.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Photochromatic cycling glasses?’ is closed to new replies.