Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 220 total)
  • Photo of a bike thief?
  • eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

yoohoo999, I noticed you didn't post on the earlier "Anyone in a job they actually enjoy" thread 😆

mudsux
    Free Member

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

yoohoo999 – Member

^ i'm no litigator,

Thats easy to tell

CountZero

This is proving much more entertaining than I first thought it would be. It certainly reinforces my opinion of lawyers, and call centre based ones. 'What's the difference between a dead lawyer in the road and a dead skunk in the road? There's skid marks in front of the skunk!'
    'Why don't sharks eat lawyers? Professional courtesy'
    Even yoohoo999's username stops anyone taking him seriously. God knows, there's no way I'd want him representing me. I'd want a Professional lawyer.

yoohoo999
    Free Member

charming.

you do know that lawyers don't actually work in call centres right? we work in the big shiny buildings that you aren't allowed in.

Elmo
    Free Member

Who says i'm not allowed?

Bet i've got better clearance than you!

CountZero

So what? You don't have access codes for the building I work in either. You wouldn't be allowed in unaccompanied. Big shiny building; I bet you're just the tea boy with delusions of grandeur. Or the janitor.

djcombes
    Free Member

Goes to show: not all solicitors are clever or funny. Some are actually quite pathetic. I prefer Physicists and Engineers myself, so it's a good job I keep dealings with the legal types to a minimum (mainly Patent Attorneys). We've got a special barbed wire fence around the whole site – absolutely no solicitors are allowed in unless they can estimate the power to weight ratio of a swallow to within 10% (or guess my favourite colour).

jcromton
    Free Member

blue.

radoggair
    Free Member

i'm actually quite liking yoohoo999, he seems quite witty, doing some troll feeding and probably maybe right in some cases in which he's stating. Its just unfortunate that the reason he may be right is that people like him have made the law what it is today, which is unjust, unreasonably and for the rich, a great savings scheme.

Maybe what the OP could do is somehow find out the serial number of the bike whilst the bike is outside the shop, write it down, call the police saying he's spotted his bike, when they turn up pass on the serial number to them and claim back the bike

racing_ralph
    Free Member

what a great way to start the friday morning 🙂 Yoohoo Yoohoo999 are you back at college today – presume yesterday was you day release "day in the real world" with real people that work?

uplink
    Free Member

Anyway – lawyers aside – I'm just back from my morning run & took the opportunity to 'case the joint' 🙂
    As I suspected, there's not really anywhere to lock the bike to so, if he turns up today I will have to snatch it or follow him back to work/home & then call the police.
    I think it'll be the snatch as I really don't have much faith in the police being able to react quick enough.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

miketually
    Free Member

I'm going into town for lunch today, so I'll keep my eyes open for you.

uplink
    Free Member

Thanks Mike but I may have to put it off till next week now
    There's a bit of a panic on at work for a client that needs sorting this morning

wwaswas

"I may have to put it off till next week now"

damn, my plans for a flashmob of pitchfork and torch waving former victims of bike thefts are in ruins.

uplink
    Free Member

I may still make it 😀

davidrussell
    Free Member

send in the lawyers!

owenfackrell
    Free Member

absolutely no solicitors are allowed in unless they can estimate the power to weight ratio of a swallow to within 10% (or guess my favourite colour).

African or European?

uplink
    Free Member

OK – I'm off in about 10 mins

My wife has made me promise not to do anything that may be confrontational so I'll be on my bike & if he shows, I'll follow him

Unless of course, the heat of the moment gets the better of me 😉

BluePalomino
    Free Member

When the photo (original post) was taken, the bike was unlocked, i'm guessing the new 'owner' doesn't lock it up much. I had a bike stolen (Gary Fisher frame, custom parts) some years ago. It was a nice bike and i kept my eyes open for it. 8 months later i spotted it just round the corner leant against a shop window, unlocked. It was my bike. So i rode it home. I then walked back round the corner to watch chavkid come out of the shop to see 'his' bike gone. He phoned some mates and they turned up and spent the next half hour giving it large looking for the bike and me (the bike thief). 😀
    Best way to go in my opinion.

davidrussell
    Free Member

Unless of course, the heat of the moment gets the better of me

or he kicks you in the chuckies and cycles off.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hey, Uplink might have his bike back by now! 😀

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Just call the police, stop taking stupid pictures and putting them online you mong.

Class! yoohoo999 is getting uptight about calling that guy a theif then calls you a mong, get him for defamation of character, typical arrogant lawyer whos probably never won a case and has no time for people who have a disability. 😆

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Sorry, I've arrived late at this gem of a a Thread. Reading through it, I gather that this yoohoo person who say's he's a solicitor says that the OP has defamed the partially obscured person in the window.

Soliciyoohoo is insistant that it's defamation although he admits it's not his speciallity

I'm somewhat surprised that Soliciyoohoo says in another post in this very thread 'this is the t'internet, i can name call all I like'. Now, I may be being silly, but isn't he saying that the OP is committing the terrible act of defamation, but he being a legalish person is not covered by the same laws?

cyclistm
    Free Member

How many watching this thread for an update?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

So has Uplink made it back with the parts of the bike that he claims are his, or nicked the whole thing just coz he can, which is just as bad as it getting nicked originally?!

Or did he get his a$$ wupped & is lying in A&E right now…?? 😉

davidrussell
    Free Member

he's been pwnd with some, well, shitty forks.

uplink
    Free Member

Right, I'm back – bit of an anti-climax, he didn't show

Stake-outs aren't that glamorous, boring & cold
    Anyway, he was there at 12:05 on Wednesday so I got there at 11:45 & stayed till 12:30 & then had a ride around the town centre looking around
    I'll try again next Wed

So has Uplink made it back with the parts of the bike that he claims are his, or nicked the whole thing just coz he can, which is just as bad as it getting nicked originally?!

Difference is – I will be reporting it to the police & letting them sort out if the other guy or me owns it, if & when I lift it I will be [as said earlier] riding it down the hill to the police station

Or did he get his a$$ wupped & is lying in A&E right now…??

If that happens, it happens but I won't roll over
    it's my bike & I'm having it back

thanks all for the interest 😀

yoohoo999
    Free Member

I'm somewhat surprised that Soliciyoohoo says in another post in this very thread 'this is the t'internet, i can name call all I like'. Now, I may be being silly, but isn't he saying that the OP is committing the terrible act of defamation, but he being a legalish person is not covered by the same laws?

defamation of character of an annonymous internet persona? that would be a new one!

molgrips
    Free Member

Cops told me that if I saw my nicked bike I was allowed to hold onto IT and wait for the cops, but not touch the rider. However if he started on me though I would assume that the usual rules for fights would apply.

GreenRoom
    Free Member

yoohoo999 said:

"blah blah blah blah self important twaddle that nobody is the least bit interested in blah blah". You should have been a blowjob mate.

Uplink – better luck next time.

Woody

yoohoo999
    Free Member

you still took the time to type out that response though eh? 😛

chris82
    Free Member

"for all those who think they are more qualified to provide insight into the law, you might want to get yourselves one of these first (like the one on the wall beside my desk)"

Hasn't got you very far has it, if you're still working in a call centre. I did that when I first left school, even managed it without a 'wipe clean' certificate.

The last solicitor I went to had his own company/office etc. You must be a s_hit one.

Sorry to hear about the lack of success with the bike, hope it gets sorted soon.

chakaping
    Free Member

He's right though, it could be defamation.

I'm not a lawyer, but an important part of my job is not getting sued for defamation.

If the guy's peers are cyclists and they read this thread and it "lowers him in their esteem" – and also if he'd innocently purchased the bike (or even if you couldn't prove he nicked it) – then he's got a good case for defamation.

I applaud the mods for leaving it up though. Publish and be damned!

yoohoo999
    Free Member

chris82, your complete inability to demonstrate any knowledge whatsoever of the UK's legal system is quite funny.

you, unless you happen to be on the board of directors for a large company, wouldn't really have the need to speak to a lawyer at the type of firm i work at, or ask for advice on an area that i advise in.

have a quick look here: UK law firms

these list the top 50 law firms in the UK by revenue. have a look at any one of them an try to work out what kind of law they advise in…….that's right COMMERICAL LAW for big companies. You don't fit into this category matey.

I have my own office (i can send you a picture of that if you like, you appear to be really interested given the nummber of abuse posts you direct my way), but like every other firm on that list, it's part of a BIG building with lots of other offices, sorry I don't have my own building yet, i'm working up to that one.

mate, you sound like some poor kid that didn't get the grades he wanted at school and hates everyone who works anywhere other than a call centre.

chin up mate, you keep working away and someone will notice you soon, maybe get that big break you've been waiting for.

if you do intend to keep sniping away, at least try to gain a basic understanding of what you are on about. some of the digs from people here have at least been witty, yours just smack of bitterness. grow up.

Olly
    Free Member

yup, i'm finding it quite enjoyable actually. nice to see so many people completely ignorant of basic principles of law. keeps me in a job

im guessing entirely here, extrapolating if you will, but im guessing your utter ignorance regarding, lets say, central heating, keeps your plumber in a job, and your ignorance on how your car works, keeps your garage in a job, and your ignorance regarding the internals of your fork keeps Mojo/TF or whoever in a job.

isnt that how things work?

you may well also have certificates of plumbing, garaging, and mojoing, but you get the point. (the point being that thats quite a dickish thing to say)

EDIT:

"this is my office, there are many like it, but this one is mine, without me my office is nothing, without my office, i am nothing"

DrP

I can't believe no-one's done it yet…

"Injury Lawyers 4 yoohoo999…"

IGMC

DrP

yoohoo999
    Free Member

He's right though, it could be defamation.

I'm not a lawyer, but an important part of my job is not getting sued for defamation.

If the guy's peers are cyclists and they read this thread and it "lowers him in their esteem" – and also if he'd innocently purchased the bike (or even if you couldn't prove he nicked it) – then he's got a good case for defamation.

I applaud the mods for leaving it up though. Publish and be damned!

finally, a bit of sense.

interesting point about the mods leaving it up, it's something that ISPS, webmasters, forum operators have been burned for in the past. If they have knowledge of a potentially defamatory post and choose to do nothing about it, they are liable too.

some case law here about it:

LIBEL LIABILITY

yoohoo999
    Free Member

im guessing entirely here, extrapolating if you will, but im guessing your utter ignorance regarding, lets say, central heating, keeps your plumber in a job, and your ignorance on how your car works, keeps your garage in a job, and your ignorance regarding the internals of your fork keeps Mojo/TF or whoever in a job.

isnt that how things work?

exactly! as soon as companies start working out how to structure their own project finance I'll be out of a job and working in a call centre for BT with Chris82!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 220 total)

The topic ‘Photo of a bike thief?’ is closed to new replies.