Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Photo flash question
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I have two flashguns (I just remembered there is an ancient one in the loft with my old film SLR) and I want to know if it is possible to get a double cable to trigger them both off-camera.

Are the sync cables generic or brand specific?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah. Get some remotes. One transmitter and two receivers.

jam-bo

Cheap radio triggers from eBay.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wysiwyg
    Free Member

Mainly PC cables but the likes of Vivitar are specific.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Depends on the connections on the flashes.

Do they have PC sockets or just a hotshoe?

Be very careful mixing old flashes with modern equipment. Unlike decent camera gear (e.g. all Nikon) which can handle the +250VDC of some older flashes, most modern equipment (including all Canon) will fry with anything over +12VDC!

molgrips
    Free Member

Er by PC cable I think you mean the tiny little plug for old old cameras, right?

The old flash has one, the new one does not, and the camera doesn’t either.

Just read that about the voltages, I have taken a couple of massively over-exposed pics, and my camera still works so I may have lucked out there 🙂 I found an article on how to check it though too so will do that just in case.

I notice there are optical triggers for a tenner. Optical or radio?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Again, your flash voltage determines your next move.

Optical is nice indoors, and fairly close outdoors, both with line of sight…and of course way cheaper.

The only decent and reliable budget wireless (and you’ll have to trust me here), are the Catcus V5s from Japan. But again, they are limited on trigger voltage. Remember, if the product doesn’t work, it doesn’t matter how cheap it is.

Wein make some very well regarded optical slaves, not sure on the trigger voltages, think they might make some able to handle higher voltages.

molgrips
    Free Member

Amazon have a radio setup with two receivers and one transmitter for £25, with a string of 4/5* reviews saying they work exactly as described (and only one saying they didn’t).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Channel-Wireless-Flashgun-Speedlight-receivers/dp/B002RD9GNA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348504414&sr=1-2

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Photo flash question’ is closed to new replies.