Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Phone/text app for nexus 7?
  • pedalgogue
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

Is there an app I can get for the Nexus 7 3G (using a data sim) that would allow me to use my PAYG vodafone non-smartphone number/account to send texts (and calls would be even better)? I use skype for voip but I occasionally want to ring/text another mobile.

I know it’s a bit of a random one but there seems to be similar apps for use in the US.

Cheers (hopefully in advance!)

BearBack
    Free Member

Skype out fir talk if you already use Skype.
    Whatsapp for text?

Cougar

What’s a non-smartphone number?

toby1

A Nexus 4?

The 7 isn’t a phone, I know I’m not helping much here but it sounds like you want to be able to use the sim with no data plan in a device which is not a phone and already has a data only sim in it – so it just seems like you have the wrong one of the family 🙂

pacemaker
    Free Member

I imagine that there should be something.

MRS pacemaker has a Samsung Galaxy Tab 1 3g that is her work phone, she uses it with a wired earphone/mphone or the bluetooth carkit.

neomancer
    Free Member

Hey,

Nexus 7 has hardware and Software locks that stop it physically being used as a phone.. so even if you have the 3G one, you can’t hack it to be uses as a phone.

Should you be interested. XDA devs is your place to go for more info:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2025377

various other threads about.. including some badly translated posts from asus engineers advising about the hardware.

pedalgogue
    Free Member

Cheers guys, it was more the text thing than talking. Smart phones are too small and fiddly for my size hands, and doing emails, etc. so I have a non smart phone and a small tablet for on the go stuff. The only usable option was a note 2 but the price and plans are crazy high, hence my current set up.

jamiep
    Free Member

I’ve not yet investigated this and was slightly confused what you are asking, but does the Mighty Text app do what you need?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

WhatsApp?

muggomagic

mighty text is good if you have a mobile that you can load the app on to. You can send a message from a tablet or PC and it sends the text via your mobile.
    EDIT: Though apparently it’s no longer compatible with the nexus 7 I guess it is since update to 4.2.2

Clong
    Free Member

Dinamotxt allows you text from your nexus 7, but it needs to be run on an android phone at the same time. As you don’t have a smart phone that won’t help though…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Phone/text app for nexus 7?’ is closed to new replies.