Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Phone upgrade time…
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Options are a Nexus 6P or a Note 5.

Seem pretty similar – no sdcard slot on either (boo)

3gb ram on the 6p and 4gb on the note.

camera app a little better on the note

quicker updates on the nexus

Any real world experiences? Other option is an s7 (but standard version not the weirdy edge) but prefer the phablet style bigger phone.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nexus 6p here, blank/vanilla Android is great. I have the 32Gb but I’m mostly online all the time. Still enough to sync some spotify playlists and some TV/Movies for a trip though. Pics are just cloud backed up and then deleted so the massive storage space isn’t needed for me these days.

Good screen, responsive, the stereo speakers are nice for watching stuff. Fast charging and easily get a day unless I’m using media all day.
    Fingerprint scanner is decent for unlocking unless sweaty (they all are) and the screen works well with most gloves on.

Probably had it 9 months no and no real drop in performance.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

How does the “bump” work for you? I wondered if that area would get all scratched up, especially around the camera lense?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hardly notice it, it comes with a basic plastic case that I used for 6 months but ditched it now.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Coolio. I just wondered if it gets knocked/scratched more as it sticks out.

Just been to the shop but Friday lunchtime, Optus is chocka. I’ll swing by Sat morning. Looks a nice phone (on the security stand)

Ta.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah optus here, just missed the discount on launch but still decent value

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

My Note 5 is awesome. Not as big physically as you’d think as the screen goes right to the edges. The quality of images from the camera is phenomenal and the stylus is very useful. Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

sturdylad
    Free Member

Recently got an S7 (non-edge version)
    Really happy with it, significant improvent over the S5 it replaced.
    The camera is light years ahead of the S5 though!
    Has an SD slot but no removeable battery, think I’ve only had 1 other phone where you couldn’t remove the battery, its the only downside I can see to the phone.

colster808
    Free Member

Love my 6p.As above stock Android is great. Lovely big screen but still fits in my pocket fine. Battery life is very good. The “bump” is soon forgotten about. I have mine in a spaigen case so you can’t see it anyway.

This is the first phone since I first got a iPhone 3gs that I’ve been totally happy with. I had a iPhone 5 and a HTC 1 before this and both were annoying in their own way.

The S7 looks nice but for me stock Android/No bloatware and timely updates from Google make the 6p a better long term buy.

The only downsides I’ve found is the occasional bug in the software but a quick reboot(turning it off and on again) always sorts it out. I usually only have to do this once a month or so. Other than that it just ticks along nicely.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Go sim only and get a OnePlus, I’ve got the X and have been blown away for the spec/build for the price.

Cheers, Steve

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Got the 6P as it was $5 cheaper than what I was paying with 3x the data. I’m using it now. All updated and my apps installed. Looking at a carbon fibre “skin” and a decent screen protector. Spiegen stuff usually does the trick. Had one of their screen protectors on my m8 and it still looks fresh.

Thanks y’all.

colster808
    Free Member

Good choice 😀

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Put the Android N preview 3 on yesterday. Haven’t had an issue to note. Upgraded “dirty” over the old ROM and kept all my apps and settings.

You can roll back to M if you don’t like it, but it does a full wipe.

Really happy with the camera so far too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Phone upgrade time…’ is closed to new replies.