Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • phone luddite – Samsung Galaxy S 8Gb
  • iainc

so my work phone is getting upgraded from a basic wee Nokia phone that doesn’t even get internet to one of these thingies. I don’t have a choice of handset so it’s the Samsung.

So what do I need to know/do (apart from buy a tough case for when I am on the bike !). My calls, browsing etc will be paid for, but I’ll not be able to pay for other stuff, apps etc

retro83
    Free Member

fit a screen protector. It has gorilla glass as standard, but keys etc will still scratch it.

Make sure you have the latest firmware as it fixes a number of lag & GPS issues.

Install mytracks and monitor your speed on the bike 🙂

iainc

retro – thanks, have seen a tough case that should do the job. firmware – now you have lost me .. ? does it come with gps or is that a buy app ?

…you will see i know nowt of these things 😳

rs
    Free Member

this is the case i have, its very good, adds a little bulk but the phone is so thin its not a big deal

http://www.case-mate.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S-T-Mobile-Vibrant-Cases/Case-Mate-Samsung-Galaxy-S-T-Mobile-Vibrant-Tough-Cases.asp

rs
    Free Member

it has a gps chip inside, it’ll have google maps and navigation for free, you can download something like endomondo for free to track rides.

iainc

rs – thanks for that. That case is in my Amazon basket already ! cheers

rs
    Free Member

ps. you pay for apps through a google account, not through your phone plan so you can buy all the apps you like and pay for them yourself. just set up a google account and a google checkout account i think its called, the phone will do it for you probably as soon as you try to buy something.

iainc

excellent, ta for info

Cougar

Make sure you have the latest firmware as it fixes a number of lag & GPS issues.

This. The original Galaxy S was bugged to death. See the handset-specific forum at http://www.androidforums.com for details and how-tos.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘phone luddite – Samsung Galaxy S 8Gb’ is closed to new replies.