Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Phone line and provider help?
  • dannybee
    Free Member

Long shot maybe but anyone on here know about this stuff?

My mums phone has been playing up for a while in that every so often it would not work for a day then come back on cackly before working again, It gave up 3 weeks ago so my mum rang BT for a line test but they said they could not provide one as she rented the line through talk talk so she complained to talk talk various times they still have not been out 🙁

The phone line was just noise and the DSL was working but constantly dropping, The line into the house only has 2 wires connected (DSL needs just one) but the external crimps looked suspect so i quickly changed them with proper items as i have some wire on order so i can totally replace the cable where it joins at the guttering to the master socket. After changing the crimps the DSL is now solid and net working fine although the phone line is dead. (This part of the wiring looks very old and very weathered)

I have already done the obvious filters, different phone , master socket etc I’m going to inspect the crimps and wire from the guttering to the house later today just wondering if anyone had any pointers on either likely cause of the problem or who is responsible for the line and from which point as i have been told before its to where it enters the house? Maybe i should not mess with it but it seems easy enough to change and if i can sort the problem it will save the hassle of dealing with call centres which is getting her nowhere and stressed !

mulv1976
    Free Member

Anything after the master socket is your responsibility, anything up to and including that is theirs.

Have talktalk identified a fault? You can initiate a check online. I’m still waiting for an update on mine a week after it was passed to an engineer. I think they are rather busy with all the bad weather

dannybee
    Free Member

I think they said they could not find a fault on the line originally although they seem pretty useless and the phone has worked a few times in between briefly.

That is good news about the line upto the master socket, I will check the bit upto the roof today and fit the new cable though i cant see it not helping as the old cable has already been joined and generally bodged by i guess BT engineers as there the only people who have touched it in 15 years.

dannybee
    Free Member

After reading about it online looks like i best just check it over as its illegal to touch the drop wire 😳

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Phone line and provider help?’ is closed to new replies.