• This topic has 22 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by M6TTF.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Phone holder – there must be something out there
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I’m going mad trying to find a phone holder that will fit onto the shoulder strap of my pack. My old iPhone fitted perfectly into a Lowepro Dashpoint 10, but my iPhone 6 is too big for it.

Any camera case that fits the 6 is way too bulky/fat. The only substitutes I can find are either not tall enough, too bulky overall, or only fit onto a belt rather than a shoulder strap. I am ideally looking for something that will take the 6 in a waterproof Aquapac but not essential

The only thing I have found is the Timbuk2 2015 3 way accessory pouch which is perfect but only available in the US with $35 shipping cost and the older one stocked in lots of places in the UK is the old one which I think is too small

Surely someone on here must have the same need and found the perfect product?

cookeaa

jam-bo

My pack has pockets. HTH.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Usual helpful STW responses. Do Otterbox do anything that suits?.

br
    Free Member

tbh I’d not want to be carrying an iPhone 6 were I could **** it, even if it was in a case.

What about putting it into your ‘sac’ and using a Bluetooth receiver for when you’ve a call coming in?

scotroutes

Dude – you’re supposed to access your multi-media, net-connected, all-knowing, all-seeing portable base station via your watch these days 🙄

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Cookeaa – yup, first world problem but we are on a MTB forum so pretty much everything on here fits that category

Jambo – my pack has hip pockets but its too dangerous (for the phone) to carry it in there. Any shoulder strap pocket is not going to fit or be waterproof

Nobeer – sadly nothing suitable from Otterbox

b r and scotroutes – yeah I should get up to date but expensive and you can’t do a reply text or take/make a call via the watch

IA

One of the tiny pelicases they make for such things?

you can’t do a reply text or take/make a call via the watch

Err you can do both these things?

bigyinn
    Free Member

If im out for a ride, Im not on my phone or working or whatever.
    Usually I’ll turn strava on and the phone stays in my camelbak for the rest of the ride.
    If I hear a message or call I’ll check it when I next stop, maybe. I might take the odd photo but thats it.
    I love my technology, but Im not going to let it rule me or disrupt my riding.

somouk
    Free Member

Use one of these:

http://store.aquapac.net/explore-product-range/waterproof-phone-cases/large-armband-case-218.html

Instead of putting the strap around your arm put it around the strap on your rucksack.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Dunno, but I can’t help feeling that it would be worth considering using a beater phone for riding purposes. Something basic just running Strava and a grid-reference-finder and taking calls and texts forwarded from your “proper” phone. Which can then hide its massive and expensive fragility somewhere safer…

But somouk’s solution looks good if not. 🙂

lornholio
    Free Member

Switched off and in your backpack.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Maybe expensive, but the Lifeproof Fre case and one of the accessories may work.
    My iPhone 4S has been in a lifeproof case for several years and has survived dropping (including fumbled catches), swimming pools, and a 7yo daughter without any problems.
    Lifeproof iPhone 6 bits and bobs

There is also a UK firm making similar, but can’t remember the name.
    [Edit] Found it. LifeEdge is the UK firm, but haven’t released iPhone 6 cases yet from what I can see.

Cougar

If it were me, I’d be using my old phone for that sort of detail.

GavinB

Maybe not what you are wanting to hear, but there is no way I’d have anything fragile costing c£600 strapped to the outside of a riding rucksack, or even on my bars. Stuffed inside a dry bag, inside my riding pack every time.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

To pick up on a couple of themes so far:

Mounted in a waterproof pack on my pack shoulder strap, the chances of it coming to any harm is pretty remote. How often do you connect with the upper part of your chest in a fall? To be on the safe side I do stick it in my pack if I am doing anything reasonably full on, especially if its rocky

Can’t be a**ed with a second phone. Too much general hassle plus extra cost of buying a phone and a contract (or SIM swapping)

I don’t normally interrupt a ride but sometimes I am riding in work time so need to see if its urgent, and other times I’m meeting a mate en route so need to keep each other updated on timing

Now that phones have become so big and expensive you would think that the manufacturers would have worked out that there may be a market for what I want. Plenty of stuff around for iPhone 5/Galaxy S4 etc – just cannot believe they are taking so long to a the new sizes out there

CraigW
    Free Member

What about a case from Beerbabe? http://beerbabe.co.uk/ourshop/cat_898648-For-Technology.html
    Custom sized to fit your phone.

binners

BenjiM

How often do you connect with the upper part of your chest in a fall?

Ask anyone who’s had an ACJ dislocation/tear on the bike. Happened to me right where the phone would be!

Try This on US Ebay?

loddrik
    Free Member

What you need is a Tigrasport Bikeconsole. Best holder I’ve come across by far. I have one for my 5s but they do them for the 6 and 6 plus.

* ok should have read the first post properly. The above is a bar mount. 😐

bails

Ask anyone who’s had an ACJ dislocation/tear on the bike. Happened to me right where the phone would be!

Well maybe if you’d had a phone there you wouldn’t have been injured 😉

scotroutes

I broke a rib up there (second down from shoulder) falling off my bike last winter.

Now that phones have become so big and expensive you would think that the manufacturers would have worked out that there may be a market for what I want

They have, hence the fancy watch.

M6TTF
    Free Member

If im out for a ride, Im not on my phone or working or whatever.
    Usually I’ll turn strava on and the phone stays in my camelbak for the rest of the ride.
    If I hear a message or call I’ll check it when I next stop, maybe. I might take the odd photo but thats it.
    I love my technology, but Im not going to let it rule me or disrupt my riding.

this

stuffed in a sock in my camelbak

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Phone holder – there must be something out there’ is closed to new replies.