• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ski.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Phone contracts – is this right?
  • heebyjeeby

2nd time now that I have received a letter from orange telling me that the value of £35 that I signed up for has gone up due to inflation. Now maybe I am an old giffer but I thought a contract was a contract so why are they are now changing and surely this breaches my contract that I signed up for?
    I am sure I am not the only one out there to experience this what does everyone else think does not seem right to me

theotherjonv

Me too. The only thing is that they allow you to cancel the contract instead of accepting the increase. I haven’t read the small print of the original contract, but I assume the allowance to increase/release is in there.

chvck
    Free Member

I don’t think that they allow you to cancel. They write into the contract that they can do this I believe. I’ve looked into it a few times as a posslible get out of contract free thing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sharkbait
    Free Member

There was something in the news about this before Xmas I think….. Yes they can do it.

theotherjonv

My letter definitely allows you to cancel the contract as a result, but does say cancellation charges ‘may’ apply. Be interesting to see if that sticks.

nosedive
    Free Member

Me too. I think it stinks

compositepro
    Free Member

Had this with the shysters at voda

quickly

when you signed up to the contract you entered into an agreement ,Both parties agreed this was fair
    A contract is only complete if both parties agree it is fair if you now think it is unfair due to contractual changes then you have the right to cancel there are lots of caveats like if its less than a 10 percent increase but likewise if you can prove you would have never entered into it if it was 31 pounds a month for example

beware the blah blah blah small print my OH got all the way to it being with the OFT and the instruction of a legal professional before they went running off saying OK

you will have to fight them to the bitter end though as they count on folks just going along with it

grim168
    Free Member

There was a program on tv the other night that stated this is usually in the small print that nobody reads.

nosedive
    Free Member

It might be legally right but its immoral. ****

Flaperon

Why is it immoral?

It’s not nice, certainly, but not immoral. After all, the amount you pay them has fallen in real terms and that’s not their fault. Nor is it their fault that you didn’t read the contract when you signed it. Or even in the two weeks after signing it, when you could have cancelled without penalty.

ski
    Free Member

Flaperon – do you read the small print to all the products you buy?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Phone contracts – is this right?’ is closed to new replies.