Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Phone contract help (warning: contains EE)
  • Flaperon

About 8 months into a two year T-Mobile contract. I spend about 20 days a month out of the country and buy their roaming boosters once a month – £10 gets me 50MB to use over 30 days. Everyone’s happy.

Until last month, when they changed the boosters. You can now buy 20MB/£1, 100MB/£3, and 1GB/£25. The problem is, the only one that lasts for 30 days is the 1GB package, and leaving the country more than 10 times now increases my bill.

On top of this, buying a new booster outside of the UK is a PITA, requiring several attempts until T-Mobile figure out that you’ve run out, send the text with the link, and the purchase goes through.

They’re devious bastards – you can’t find any details of the current roaming boosters on the internet at all, just the old ones.

Spoke to them on the phone today and they say that since it’s an optional extra, they can do what they want with it and it’s my own fault for buying it. Apparently, the fact that I chose the contract almost solely on the basis of the easy roaming has nothing to do with it.

If You are a Consumer and the change is of material
    detriment to You, We will send You Written Notice 30 days
    before the terms and conditions are due to change. The
    new terms and conditions will apply to You once that
    notice has run out, unless You terminate Your Agreement
    with Us within that notice period. If You do this You won’t
    have to pay any Cancellation Charge that would otherwise
    apply, see point 7.2.3.2.

The other thing I didn’t get was the 30 days notice of changes, but again, they argue that it’s my choice to keep buying the booster.

Anyone know where I go from here? Paying upwards of £20/month when I used to pay £10 does strike me as a “change of material detriment”.

TPTcruiser

Where you travelling? Worth looking at a local SIM/phone for a regular location? Harder if it is random.

Flaperon

Don’t really want a local SIM. Partly because it would mean having about 20 SIM cards, and partly because I quite like having my own phone number.

McHamish
    Free Member

I’m on EE.

Hopefully the extra money they get from you will be spent improving the crap signal I get everywhere I go.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/oct/18/ofcom-investigate-price-rises-fixed-mobile-phone-contracts

There’s more on the D Tel page, but I’ve run out of freebies this month…

‘New rules bar phone companies from raising ‘fixed’ prices’

Lots have complained to oftel, would you join them?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Phone contract help (warning: contains EE)’ is closed to new replies.