Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Phone charging while riding
  • g5604
    Free Member

I am doing some pretty long rides, which is often leaves me with < 5% battery on my phone.

Has anyone used something like this?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-Compact-Lipstick-Sized-Sensation-ThunderBolt-Blackberry/dp/B005QI1A8C/ref=sr_1_2?tag=independen058-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1403708991&sr=8-2&keywords=phone+charger

I guess you could leave it charging in the bag?

drover
    Free Member

Yep, use one on my longer rides, find it very handy indeed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

used a few but I normally turn off the GPS/Updates if it’s going to be a long out there ride or just turn it off until I need it.

richardthird

Dedicated GPS and/or a cheapy Nokia 100 for me.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Something like that would be fine, but realisticly it won’t do a full charge of a smartphone, avoid the solar ones they’re a gimic at best.

If you want reliability and big capacity there are a few battery boxes with USB sockets that take 18650 cells so you’re free to pick the ones you want. Good ones might hold 4x what the cheap ones do regardless of the claims on the packet.

g5604
    Free Member

ok great, cheap phone is not a bad idea, but I guess this is lighter.

deadkenny
    Free Member

If you’re not using the phone for the ride, Strava etc, turn off GPS, WiFi and also turn off Mobile Data (assuming you don’t need FB updates as you ride. You will need to turn it on to post those selfies though 😉 ).

My phone can last a long ride with some to spare if I turn all that off. Will be dead in a few hours if they’re on.

Also, where you ride affects the battery. If you ride somewhere with good strong mobile coverage then it will use less power. If the signal is poor or worse there is no signal in many places then the phone will boost its power trying to get a signal, and the battery will drain faster.

Dedicated GPS if you want all day tracking and still save your phone. Or two phones, one for tracking, one for calls and emergencies. Or an old Symbian pre-touch Nokia with GPS and something like Endomondo, Sports Tracker or ViewRanger to track. Battery in that will last for days, and certainly go through a whole day of riding with GPS on. But still, dedicated GPS would be easiest option.

daveevans42

I use a ‘Pebble smart stick’ will more than double your battery life

avdave2

I’ve got the same one and it will fully charge an Iphone 4s.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Or you get one of these A friend of mine rode to Thailand using one to charge his ipad which he was using for rhe gps.

g5604
    Free Member

yes sorry, using phone for strava and nav if get lost. The pebble looks good, thanks.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Phone charging while riding’ is closed to new replies.