Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Phoenix Nights Live at the Manchester Arena. Don't believe the hype.
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Me and Mrs. S went to see this heavily hyped, greatly extended show (from 2 to 15 nights) on Friday. We had read LOADS of very good reviews so were really looking forward to a reet good laugh.

Unfortunately, the goods were not delivered. We were expecting a live episode of Phoenix Nights with scenes and sketches interspersed with performances. What we got was a mediocre cabaret evening with very little from Peter Kay. There were some funny bits. Dave Spikey as Jerry StClair (sp?) was good as was Ray Von’s journey through the history of modern music complete with 80’s laser show. But it wasn’t £70 worth. The title of the show belied the format. Had it been called A Night at the Phoenix Club Live! We would have expected what was presented.

5/10.

Has anybody else been to see this?

ourmaninthenorth

No. Was almost disappointed when I saw this was on. Then I decided I didn’t want my memories of the show spoiled, or my memory of seeing Peter Kay in Blackpool 15 years ago.

Sounds like a good swerve on my part. (Wouldn’t have got a baby sitter anyway).

spawnofyorkshire

I was at the first night that got cut short by Ted Robbins unfortunate heart attack.
    Thought it was pretty good up until that point, some sh*t bits but on the whole happy. Just a shame we’re away this weekend and can’t see the make-up performance

binners

Were there any ping pong balls involved?

midlifecrashes

First I knew of it was seeing the news about Ted Robbins. If there’s any hype to believe, the hypemongers need to try a bit harder.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Yep, went on the 1st Feb and loved every second, even the Young Kenny cringeworthy moments 😛

Also have 6 friends/colleagues who have been on different nights and all have said they really enjoyed it.

hora
    Free Member

Jesus loves you Derek..

No way 🙁

I love Phoenix Nights. Its just sublime class throughout.

I’m not a fan of Peter Kays standup at all but ^. Class.

Glad I didn’t go then, I’ll keep my orange-coloured boxset well viewed 8)

Drac

Fortunately for me I never believed the Peter Kay hype. He has had one or two funny moments but he’s not as great as made out.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

We were expecting a live episode of Phoenix Nights

What we got was a mediocre cabaret evening

Sounds like you got what you were expecting then?

with very little from Peter Kay.

Every cloud etc etc

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Phoenix Nights Live at the Manchester Arena. Don't believe the hype.’ is closed to new replies.