Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • phillips screwdriver recomendations… ratchet or other?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

working on the car recently i’ve found that most of my phillips are getting old and too worn, so without spending silly cash can anyone recommend a suitable replacement set for general car and motorbike work?

i’ve also been wondering about a ratchet one and saw a Wera WER073660 rated on a few forum posts, anyone got any views?

oldnpastit

Isn’t it all about pozidrive now?

I thought Philips screwdrivers had a habit of rounding-off PZ heads?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Depends if its a pozidrive or a Phillips fixture doesn’t it. Bit like forcing a hex into a torx.

Anyway I like wera laser tips and chisel drivers.

Won’t have a ratchet screw driver my self as I prefer something I can get a direct straight torque into rather than at an angle.

nickjb
    Free Member

Halfords screwdrivers are pretty good and often reduced. As above, don’t mix up pozi with philips. Still get a lot of philips on electrical stuff but automotive tends to be pozi, although more modern stuff is torx. Just to keep it mixed up some Japanese vehicles use JIS. That maybe highlights the advantage of a bit set and a nice handle rather than individual screwdrivers. Wera bits are good

finephilly
    Free Member

draper ones are good value for low use. second halfords – they’re good too. Beta are probably the best imo

CHB

Halfords do OK sets. My best screwdrivers are a set of Draper engineer ones (about £20 on Amazon), but I have lots!
    Mainly I use “bits” for actual screws, either with a wee Makita impact driver, a bigger impact driver or on the end of a handle or ratchet.
    Aldi and Lidl do fairly good bit sets (with holder) for about £8.

CHB

The few things I have had from Wera and Bondhus in the past have not impressed me for quality. Facom are universally good, Draper professional stuff is good, and Bahco I like too!

neilwheel
    Free Member

I think Wera are fine for general use, cheap as chippies.

As above, I also prefer using 1/4″ hex bits, decent driver handle that you can fit a 1/4″ square drive ratchet handle to the top end, if you need the extra leverage. The driver parts should last forever and replace bits as they wear.

vongassit
    Free Member

Ratchet srewdrivers ? Bahco is where it’s @ imo. I’ve got the long , stubby ,& stubby T handle.

Used them daily when I was working for myself & they are still perfect 5yr on. Paired with a Mannesmann Screwdriver Bit Set 100 pcs and I never got stuck.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Wiha very similar to Wera, seem to be on offer at Screwfix ATM.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Have Wera at work for electrical stuff, they’re OK.

Halfords Pro stuff (not just the screwdrivers) seems good and as mentioned is often “reduced”, Draper engineers seems good. I’ve not used Bahco kit.

Might sound obvious but mistmatching philips and pozi will wear things out quicker.

hatter

Hard to see past Wera for the price IMHO.

I do like my Beta T25 Torx screwdriver though, great for spinning out rotor bolts.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘phillips screwdriver recomendations… ratchet or other?’ is closed to new replies.