• This topic has 43 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Philips park today- why the pads//full backpacks and water etc?
  • hora
    Free Member

Declutter guys. Comeon, its a tidy figure of 8 loop!

No backpack required 😆

Bregante

its a tidy figure of 8 loop!

Perhaps you haven’t ridden it all then? 😉

acidchunks

Ha! The lord of the trail has spoken…

I’ll be heading there shortly, will be taking a pack because

A) I’m dehydrated

and

B) I’m carrying a load of tools because its my first ride on my new build and I don’t trust my own spannering.

😛

miketually
    Free Member

Maybe they’re riding it as part of a longer ride?

shifter
    Free Member

Because they choose to!

Northwind

Maybe they’re riding it many, many times

hora
    Free Member

Ride light. It aint an out n back 😉

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Because they are newbies, end of.

willber
    Free Member

Watch out for the CS wielding scrotes that are apparently hiding around there to rob you of your bike!!!

inkster
    Free Member

Any evidence of this Willber? as I’m often over there.

ton

hora………….was you rigid carbon 456 too much for you peaks gnarr?
    how much travel is there on your new peaks machine? 😀

hora
    Free Member

CS? What about trail monsters?

Bregante

The escaped patients from the hospital killed all the trail monsters

hora
    Free Member

Looks like one snaffled stw’er scaled

hora
    Free Member

Any evidence of this Willber? as I’m often over there.

So why was there a Bury council-livered security-type van there at the weekend?

Its evening riding- I imagine someone riding a few thousands of kit is a very tempting mugging target compared to a wallet.

I remember my first night ride in Manchester with binners etc…. I packed my trusty clawhammer in my backpack 😆

BadlyWiredDog

Perhaps they were going for a ride in the park?

eightyeight
    Free Member

My chain snapped on Monday (plus I’d ridden 10 miles to get there). Luckily, I had the necessary tools 😀

I don’t wear pads there personally, but if someone wants to wear a full face and spine protector I wouldn’t have a problem.

hora
    Free Member

Actually I’ll ‘let’ folk off for wearing pads. My angle is why the need for everything carried if you’ve driven there? Basically its a muck around the woods situation. For that, you should feel free, unencumbered from clutter and not look like an extra in a mbr mag.

If I go tonight it’ll be a standard tshirt- helmet and tatty shorts. Each to their own though 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

I reckon they were Group 4 security guards grabbing a sneaky ride between cash deliveries, hence the bulky helmets, armour etc. Those big packs? You can’t just leave wads of cash lying about in your van…

I shall spare a thought for the tragic lost urban mountain bikers as I spin through the snowdrifts in the Peak later. And blimey, look, you even have your own magazine now:

Urban Hora-clist

scaled
    Free Member

I wish I’d been wearing more armour after I saw you on Friday hora!

Currently at my mothers house as I can’t look after my daughter post Philips park 😀

Might miss the Manchester summer at this point.

hora
    Free Member

No armour would have save you. Shoulder etc injuries tend to be more weight of body pivoting or twisting onto one point? You WILL see summer. The reason why is I snapped my arm clean and bust my shoulder yet within 8 weeks I started doing pressups with no issues. Weird.

FuzzyWuzzy

No idea where you’re talking about but on local loops near me I still ride with a pack because:
    a). I’m used to it so it doesn’t bother me
    b). It gives some back protection if I do fall
    c). I prefer drinking out of a camelbak than a shit-covered bottle
    d). I don’t want to have to go back to my car for water/tools
    e). Carrying extra weight is good training :p

hora
    Free Member

Loop- your car is part of this loop though.

Duggan

I imagine plenty of people will have ridden there from their front door? Which could be miles away? That’s what i’ll be doing when I go anyway, so will probably have a pack on of some sort.

hora
    Free Member

I imagine plenty of people will have ridden there from their front door?

Carpark fairly full of people unloading cars and kitting up.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve just had an email exchange with the guy who manages the trails. As far as he is aware there have been no incidents of muggings in Philips.

I’ve been riding down there for 20 odd years and despite all the stories of escaped loons in the woods and knife wielding crack heads from Salford I can report that I have never been mugged, gassed, inappropriately touched or murdered.

There was however a casualty evacuated by ambulance over the weekend (witnessed by my brother in law) which may have resulted in one of the security patrols calling by. We’ve had incidents at HTN that have required the ambulance service / mountain rescue attending and the police are notified as part of standard procedure.

Please don’t make a rumour mountain out of nothing.

hora
    Free Member

Please don’t make a rumour mountain out of nothing.

So I’m not allowed to ask why there was one there- That makes me a rumour mill?

Harry_the_Spider

willber – Member
    Watch out for the CS wielding scrotes that are apparently hiding around there to rob you of your bike!!!

hora
    Free Member

I asked a question after seeing a bury security patrol van. I’m asking a question based on fact.

Disclaimer: No CX’s were hurt in the making of this post 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Could have been one of many reasons… but the bloke who runs the site hasn’t heard of anybody getting mugged.

hora
    Free Member

Thats fine- it was just a question. If you have a question, you ask/its answered then fine. You can’t censor/keep quiet incase it offends someone if its a relevant question though. If I see the van there again- I’ll ask why.

Harry_the_Spider

Fair enough. I should have quoted the original comment about muggings, not your one about the security van.

hora
    Free Member

🙂

BTW- the pub down by the Church is selling old pump-branded pint glasses off – 6 for £2 donation. Bargains 8)

eightyeight
    Free Member

Just a heads-up, there was some mug on a quad bike on Monday going down the left red route.

Is there a specific ban on motor vehicles?

Harry_the_Spider

FFS. You are riding MY trails and drinking in MY pub. You’ll be taking a dump in MY bathroom next.

Harry_the_Spider

Just a heads-up, there was some mug on a quad bike on Monday going down the left red route.

Is there a specific ban on motor vehicles?

Yep. That would bring out the council security patrol.

hora
    Free Member

I almost moved into your area too….

However I moved into Binners area instead. Binners went doo-lally, went to India, smoked alot of baccy and married a goat before finally being brought back and hiding in Ramsbottom to escape me.

legspin
    Free Member

I have one pack with everything I need in it. I use it if I nip to the shop or a 6 hours lake loop on my own. It’s my choice and got bugger all to do with you.

hora
    Free Member

It’s my choice and got bugger all to do with you

legspin
    Free Member

Self portrait princess?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Philips park today- why the pads//full backpacks and water etc?’ is closed to new replies.