Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Philips Hue in bathroom
  • richardkennerley

Anyone got Hue in their bathroom?

We’re having our bathroom done in the new year and I was thinking it would be nice to get some hue lighting rather than standard spots. Plus it’s a start on getting more hue around the house.

I believe that the GU10’s aren’t actually rated for use in “wet” spaces so don’t know if the bathroom fitter will want to get involved!

If you have got them, what do you have them doing? Strobing relaxing colours for baths etc?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just for turning my outside lights on when I’m almost home. Replacing bulbs was the cheapest way compared to having an electrician wire a switch outside or all new lights with PIR’s .

NB Currys are currently doing a ‘buy 3 pay for 2’ on some of the bulbs, if you have them delivered.

I’m still waiting for IFTTT to do a bit more than it currently does, altho there’s something called Conjour which might do what I want (turn on based on location, then turn off after x minutes).

Flaperon

I believe that the GU10’s aren’t actually rated for use in “wet” spaces so don’t know if the bathroom fitter will want to get involved!

No GU10 will be, they have to be in a protected enclosure if in zone 1 or 2.

http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/53/section-701/index.cfm

Check the fittings though, Philips GU10 are longer than normal lamps and sometimes don’t fit (or stick out the hole). Are you after the colour changing ones, because Ikea likely to be much cheaper and better white colour otherwise.

somouk
    Free Member

The GU10s aren’t rated for wet spaces but get rated cans that they go in to and you’ll be fine. They need to be large cans to fit the multi colour hue in, the normal dimmable white aren’t as bad.

We’re going to fit a light strip in there when we have our bathroom done in a couple of weeks. Power etc will just go up in to the loft and it will be sitting in an aluminum strip with a defuser although the lightstrips are pretty water resistant anyway.

richardkennerley

Hmm… We would like the colour change ones. We’ll “need” 4 in the bathroom, with the rated cans, it’s an expensive job! I’d be interested to hear how you get on with the light strips, what the finished job looks like and how effective they are

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s he doing in there?

FuzzyWuzzy

I have a standard Hue Colour in the bathroom – not much point though as the switch links to the extractor fan so I can’t leave it on permanently (although it was mildly amusing freaking out the GF by turning it off while she was in there then activating the police scene…).

On a related note – is it OK to leave a normal dimmer on permanently (and if so should it be fully on)? One of my living room lights is controlled by a dimmer, I have a Hue bulb to go in the light but not sure if I need to get the dimmer replaced with a light switch?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’ve got the light strip under the wall units in my kitchen. It very very good 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Philips Hue in bathroom’ is closed to new replies.