• This topic has 104 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by jr12.
Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Philippa York joins ITV4 Tour de France coverage team. Bloody excellent news!
  • jekkyl

why has she changed her surname as well? that’s sorta dissing your father and family, no?

chakaping
    Free Member

Could be married?

molgrips
    Free Member

Have I woken up in the twilight zone?

No, just 2017 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

why has she changed her surname as well? that’s sorta dissing your father and family, no?

It’s just a name, why would it be dissing your family?

Though it sounds like his relationship with his father and where he grew up wasn’t that great.

jamj1974

In the nicest way this shouldnt be noteworthy. However, we are still evidently in a place where transitioning to a different gender still requires extreme bravery and fortitude.

Best wishes to Phillipa York. Can only imagine it’s been a long hard journey…

zanelad
    Free Member

I doubt any of us who aren’t in that situation have the faintest idea what they go through. There’s a guy at my local Sainsburys (don’t worry, I only use it in extreme emergencies) who lives as a woman. A less feminine figure it’s hard to imagine. He gets endless stick from young and old. Day in and day out the same crap.

I just can’t imagine the strength it takes to go through that each day.

stuey
    Free Member

zanelad – (are you in MK Sainsburys) +1
    + Yay Phillipa 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Chapeau Philippa, hopefully what must have been years of anguish are now behind you.

zanelad
    Free Member

Not MK. Aylesbury.

frankconway

I can’t begin to imagine the guts it takes to go through gender
    re-assignment, go public AND start working in the media; print journalism is relatively anonymous – tv isn’t.
    I hope that she is accepted at face value – an accomplished cyclist with informed insights into race tactics etc – and not just an ‘oddity’ to be wheeled out for high profile events.
    Gender is absolutely irrelevant.
    Philippa, i tip my hat to you – Chapeau.

poah
    Free Member

ransos – Member

Better give back my Biology degree then…

It does sound like you weren’t paying attention to the difference between sex and gender.

have to argue that point, in non human biological science topics gender refers to the sex of the animal rather than the social description.

To me he is a man dress as a woman and always will be, that doesn’t mean I think its wrong, deviant or perverse. If a bloke wants to do that or vice versa I couldn’t care less.

For me this is a non news article, its just a person being hired to commentate. Why is the main talking point of this thread he used to be a man or well done for hiring a trans person?

Waderider
    Free Member

Anyone wanting some background on Philippa should search out and watch “The High Life” on Robert Millar.

If her commentary is even half as good as her cycling journalism this will be a winner. I’ve just changed my plans for this afternoon to watch the tour to see if I can catch her.

Robert was a member of Glasgow Wheelers and the first english speaking KOM at the tour. He was mentored by Billy Bilsland, who ran Billy Bilsland cycles in Glasgow, himself an Olympian and continental pro. A shop I used to work in, and one of her KOM jerseys is on the wall.

Edit – here you go, The High Life

RustySpanner

Why is the main talking point of this thread he used to be a man or well done for hiring a trans person?

I don’t think it is.

People are just pleased that someone they admire and respect is now happy.

Everyone’s a winner.

chestrockwell

To me he is a man dress as a woman and always will be, that doesn’t mean I think its wrong, deviant or perverse. If a bloke wants to do that or vice versa I couldn’t care less.

For me this is a non news article, its just a person being hired to commentate. Why is the main talking point of this thread he used to be a man or well done for hiring a trans person?

This for me really. Good luck to the bloke.

mrblobby
    Free Member

People are just pleased that someone they admire and respect is now happy.

This for me. Someone who was a big deal in my youth, has had their fair share of ups and downs, vanished from public life, and appeared to shun contact from even his friends. Good to know that she is ok and happy enough to return to public life.

roverpig

^this

zippykona

I think as a cyclist she has more than enough points in the respect bank to be paid a bit of it back.

ransos
    Free Member

have to argue that point, in non human biological science topics gender refers to the sex of the animal rather than the social description.

Yeah, but we’re talking about humans so it’s hard to see what your point is. If she identifies as a woman then that’s all there is to it for the rest of us.l

kelvin

You are right in Sagan’s case, although he has two extra weeks to practice now.

> splutter <

Loving your work.

Right, I’m watching ITV4+1 … back to the climb…

poah
    Free Member

ransos – Member

Yeah, but we’re talking about humans so it’s hard to see what your point is. If she identifies as a woman then that’s all there is to it for the rest of us.l

except they were talking about a biology degree which isn’t specifically human only hence the comment.

scaredypants

Has she been on yet ? Haven’t caught anywhere near all the coverage but missed if she has

epicsteve
    Free Member

Think I missed her as well. ITV coverage is excellent though – really enjoyed today’s stage.

ernie67

Wasn’t expecting that when I clicked on the thread that’s for sure! Robert was one of the first people to get me hooked on the TDF as a young lad , so now have to wish Philipa all the best

Waderider
    Free Member

I had it on in the workshop as I worked on my car and didn’t hear her. Entirely possible I missed substantial bits though.

jr12
    Free Member

Has she been on yet ?

I think she starts commentating next Thursday, for three days only?

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Philippa York joins ITV4 Tour de France coverage team. Bloody excellent news!’ is closed to new replies.