Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • phil wood ebb – how?
  • sadexpunk

got one on my singular, and not sure about tensioning it. sam said both sides have to be undone and then tightened when tension is ok.

just been and tried it, and it just doesnt seem to want to play, plus my 6mm allen key doesnt seem to fit neatly, so i thought id ask on here before i strip owt 🙂

do both sides undo anti-clockwise? or do they undo like pedals, one RH, one LH? once undone, how do you move the ebb to get the tension? does one need doing before the other?

ive googled it to try and find a pdf or something that explains how it all works, but cant find owt.

anyone care to help out?

cheers

tomwod
    Free Member

both undo anticlockwise. depending on how long since last adjustment / greasing it may take gentle bash to free up. i've found mine (also in a new singular) moves pretty easily

t

sadexpunk

nope i am just not getting this AT ALL!! :-/

ok, ive freed it. the ebb spins freely. ive found that if i spin it clockwise with chain on, then it just tightens the chain up on the top against the freewheel, but the chain sags underneath. so ive worked it so that to tension it, i spin ebb anti clockwise until chain tightens up. fine. but then i cant tighten the ebb!! allen key seems to be locked in there and wont move unless i lift back wheel, move it a little anticlockwise and loosen the chain.

help me someone. i need an idiots guide 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sadexpunk

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!

dont tell anyone but i really have been a f**wit!

i didnt notice the 2 screws underneath the bb shell 🙂

so there i was thinking i was loosening it by inserting an allen key into the sides, when really all i was doing was spinning the whole thing. and then trying to tighten it using the same allen holes when it was in position, instead of tightening it underneath. what a f**in donut.

still………if youve never seen one before 🙂 technology eh 🙂

btw, am i right in assuming that i WILL have tightened it sufficiently by just doing up the bottom 2 screws? when its all loose, the bb shell will slide from side to side too, so its proper loose in there. is that sposed to happen to try and get a perfect chainline or something?
    i dont really want to start swingiing on those bottom 2 screws to make sure its tight in case i strip or bust them. it just feels like it should be done tighter to stop the whole thing moving when grinding away on the cranks. theres nowt to locate them in is there?

cheers

ilikebikes
    Free Member

The bb is loose when you undo the grub screws, tighten the chain tension and the tighten the grubs back up, they will cut into the bb to hold it tight, and just make sure it's lined up sideways with the frame. I do mine rather tight (on a Swift).

sadexpunk

is there any advantage which way you tighten the tension? clockwise or anti-clockwise as you look at the chainset? or will that just depend on whether you want your bb to be a bit higher or lower?

Brainflex

Your better taking the bb to the top, otherwise the screws are cutting into a very thin bit of the EBB.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘phil wood ebb – how?’ is closed to new replies.