Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Phil Neville's commentary
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Just been reading about all the stick he’s getting for it. Just listened to it and seems ok to me. The other commentator was animated enough, surely Phil Neville is there to give rational technical analysis from someone who has first hand experience. Not really a job for Michael Macintyre I’d have thought.

binners

Anyone moaning about Phil Neville’s commentary has clearly never had to endure Michael Owen on BT Sport. He is Marvin the Paranoid Android. Its painful!

ourmaninthenorth

Which would you rather, Phil’s dulcet tones or Gary’s “goalgasm” over Fernando Torres…?

I know which of the nasal Mancs I’d choose….

Rockape63
    Free Member

Anyone moaning about Phil Neville’s commentary has clearly never had to endure Michael Owen on BT Sport. He is Marvin the Paranoid Android. Its painful!

LOL….That’s almost exactly what I was going to say. Michael Owen is appalling!! However, Phil Neville was indeed poor and was ruining the match for me.

Why don’t they try these people out on unimportant matches before inflicting them on us!

midlifecrashes

No need for reasoned analysis during play in my opinion, and if they really need it, can’t they cut back to the guys in the studio, some of whom have useful experience in this regard, unlike Neville. You want someone with (preferably recent) experience in a successful international team.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

It’s just OTT they seem to feel the need to fill every bit of avaible airtime with commentary from haircuts, to boots to talking about “dinking” which is the new “chipping”.

Neville may well have some insight but his voice is so monotone and metronomic that you can just makes repeat the same sounds over and over like how Canadians talk on South Park.

terrahawk
    Free Member

they need to get some Spaniards in.

geoffj

we just need more Robbie Savage and Thierry Henry

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m sure he will come good at some point, but as I mentioned in the WC thread, to give him such a big game as his first co-commentary, seemed a bit foolhardy.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Ian, Wright Wright Wright.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Monodrone that sends you off to sleep.. not good for these late evening matches as i keep falling asleep after 30mins

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

He reminds me of the monotone priest in Father Ted…..

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vdeBzPTy6NE

ocrider

When we were watching the other evening, my wife was laughing at the old-fashioned commentator “From the 70’s.”
    Jonathon Pearce is so far removed from his Capital Gold days, it’s high time ALAN GREEEEEEN stepped up for TV duties.

MSP

I’m sure he will come good at some point, but as I mentioned in the WC thread, to give him such a big game as his first co-commentary, seemed a bit foolhardy.

This

Same goes for the studio team, Lineker is really having to work hard to get the conversation going, would have been better to stick with MOTD regulars and just have Henry and Seedorf as alternating guests. As it is there is just no rapport between anyone. Thankfully the football has provided a pretty decent distraction so far.

MoreCashThanDash

He was on 5Live this afternoon. They were winding him up a bit about it.

Said it was his first live commentary, was harder than he thought and he would have to improve for the next one.

Took it on the chin and seems to be taking it seriously as a new career. Good luck to him. He knows he’ll lose the job if he doesn’t silence tbe critics.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Adrian chiles is a complete balloon.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge, I agree he’s a numpty.
    Also in my opinion neither channels have done very well with the studio guests so far.

PrinceJohn

It looks like he’s just not as good as his brother at commentating, just like he wasn’t at football.

At least with someone like Andy Townsend you can constantly just laugh at his insights…

PrinceJohn

Adrian chiles is a complete balloon.

I was thinking about this earlier – the main presenters are just shuffled about the various channels, we need more fresh blood like Jake Humphrey.

Jamie
    Free Member

Jake Humphrey.

He’s on BT with Michael Owen.

He’s made his bed, so he can bloody lay in it 8)

squin
    Free Member

I hit the red button and it switched to 5 live commentary. Winner.

Jamie
    Free Member

Lose HD, tho.

squin
    Free Member

We’re not that flash and even if we were I’d take a blurred picture instead of PN!

Have started to follow ‘Boring Phil Neville’ on Twitter, really quite funny.

muggomagic

It’s a shame they couldn’t poach Stan Collymore a little earlier. He’s pretty good at the co-commentary on talksport.

oldboy
    Free Member

Anyone listen to Alister McGowan on the BBC4 Today programme today? Absolutely brilliant!

oldboy
    Free Member
    Rockape63
    Free Member

Hilarious! You have to ask who is choosing the pundits and co commentators, I’m no fan of Hoddle, but he’s out there and would do a massively better job that Phil. Recent history suggests Ferdinand has let his country down, so why is he there?

dannyh
    Free Member

Phil Neville (as he is currently) is the classic example of someone who should always be the expert summariser and never the commentator. If you could actually listen to his comments, they were really quite good and highlighted the issues England had. He actually called a lot of the Rooney-Baines issue before it really became a problem. But he just doesn’t have the presenter’s natural ability to fill or talk things up. It’s a bit like Alec Stewart and cricket commentary. He is very good in a tactical sense (ball by ball), but has no natural charisma.

I dread to say it, but sometimes in sports commentary there is more to it than just knowing what you are on about.

Jonathan Pearce on the other hand has no idea what he is on about, nor any charisma. Robot wars remains the zenith of his career.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Very funny just on he panel with rio and Lennon. Taking the piss out of himself so fair play.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I was going to link to some youtube clips of Ortis Deley’s carcrash presenting of athletics on Channel 4, except Channel 4 have had most of it pulled. Toe curling stuff.

steve-g
    Free Member

For me, the Trevor Nelson commentary on the Olympic opening ceremony remains the ultimate in “so bad it’s almost good” commentary history

geetee1972
    Free Member

SOrry how is Phil Nevile anyway?

mudshark
    Free Member

‘I hope you die’

Sent to the wrong Phil Neville

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-27872023

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Phil Neville's commentary’ is closed to new replies.