Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Phil Hughes Injury – Cricket
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-25/test-aspirant-phil-hughes-knocked-out-in-shield-match/5916844

Shocking injury by the sounds of it, only getting to see the briefest of replays but he is in an induced coma at the moment. Really shocking to see a cricketer go down like that.

Healing vibes for a good recovery

lemonysam
    Free Member

Healing vibes for a good recovery

That plus lots. Horrible thing to have happened.

cb

Did it hit him on the side of the head? Always wondered about cricket helmets in that none of them seem overly fit for purpose. The Stuart Broad face re-arranging ball for example – why the hell have a face guard that doesn’t guard the face? They don’t seem to have impact protection either – would have thought a layer of PS like a bike helmet would slow down the impact, especially as batsman often ‘duck’ into the delivery when they get hit.

Hope he comes through this OK.

sadmadalan

My thoughts are with Phil Hughes. Cricket is a tough game, especially at the top level as a batsman. My son plays cricket and we have replaced at least one helmet due to it doing it’s job. The main problem with head injuries is that the best way for a helmet to work is for a batsman to ‘wear’ the impact on the top of the helmet, where the instinctive reaction is to turn your head away. Without a helmet you either don’t play the shot or watch the ball.

My son drove a ball through the face guard of a fielder at short leg, who turned his head away rather than ducking it – fortunately the fielder was fine, after a short trip the the local A&E. But any sport that has a hard ball moving at high speeds is going to be dangerous. And that is the reason some players enjoy the game!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Apparently the ball went under the lid at the back, so missed the lid.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My thoughts are with him, heard about this earlier. Top level cricket is a tough game, arguably more aggressive now with helmets.

spacemonkey

“Cricket Australia said on its official website that Hughes had been “struck on the back, lower left side of the head”.

Healing vibes fella. Don’t like seeing anyone go down after a hit like that.

dazh

Would it be a completely unacceptable reform to ban bouncers? I know the ‘high’ ball has always been part of cricket but it would seem to me there’s no real purpose in it other than to threaten the batsmen. Is there any other sport outside of combat sports where such blatantly dangerous and intimidating tactics are allowed?

dannyh
    Free Member

The law of probability suggests that this was bound to happen sooner or later, but it doesn’t reduce the shock that I feel seeing/hearing about it.

It looks like the ball got a bit big on him and he was through the shot slightly too early into the bargain. The result is that it hit him under the bottom of the lid and on the reverse side of the head.

The trouble with having a helmet that comes down further behind the ear is that it restricts head movement. I do sympathise with people who say it is daft that there is a gap big enough for the ball to go through over the visor on some helmets, but these are adjustable, and Broad would have been wearing it like that as a personal preference.

The fact is that cricket is a game involving a hard ball and it is a game where it is legal to try to hit someone on the head with that ball (the only game I can think of where this is the case, in fact). There should be no knee-jerk reaction to this.

Very, very unfortunate and I really hope he pulls through.

dannyh
    Free Member

Would it be a completely unacceptable reform to ban bouncers? I know the ‘high’ ball has always been part of cricket but it would seem to me there’s no real purpose in it other than to threaten the batsmen. Is there any other sport outside of combat sports where such blatantly dangerous and intimidating tactics are allowed?

I think it would be massively to the detriment of the game to ban it. The recent five years or so have not seen much ‘proper’ quick bowling until Mitchell Johnson came back into the Aussie side. Now people are seeing again what it must have been like back in the mid 70s to mid 90s. Watching a really quick bowler going for all out speed is one of the really amazing things in cricket, I guess even more so if the batsman is ducking and weaving all over.

It’s purpose is generally two-fold. It can be a wicket-taking ball in its own right if someone can’t play it properly or it can be part of a plan. The age of bouncer-Yorker is over as it is too obvious, but forcing a batsman to be hesitant about getting forward makes any lateral movement much more effective.

In this respect it is no different to a big hit in the first five minutes of a rugby match, or a crunching tackle in the early stages of a football match.

theotherjonv

Yes, it would be unacceptable. it’s part and parcel of cricket, and cricket would be the poorer for it. The game is already as safe as it’s ever been with protective equipment and playing surfaces far better than ever before. This is the risk players at all levels take.

dazh

Yes it’s part and parcel of the game, but if there’s a risk of loss of life can it be defended? Thinking of other sports where there is a real danger of death or serious injury such as motor racing or boxing there’s very tight controls and safety measures in place to prevent it, often to the detriment of the entertainment value, so should cricket be any different?

dannyh
    Free Member

The other thing to remember in this is that the bowler will be feeling like his world is ending. Anyone who has seen the picture of Peter Lever on his knees crying after hitting Ewan Chatfield in 1975 (he thought he had killed him – technically he did for about five seconds), would realise that it is part and parcel of the game, but no one really wants to hurt someone else badly.

I hit one of my mates on the bridge of the nose with a bouncer in the nets at school (not a clever thing to do). He ended up in hospital and it took several hours to stop the bleeding and he nearly had to have a transfusion. I was in bits at the time, and so relieved when it turned out OK. We laugh about it now, but for me it is not an easy laugh all the time because I can remember the “oh my god” moment when I realised it had got through his gloves and bat and hit him. He was on his back with his hands over his face and the blood was already dripping off of the back of his head by the time I’d run the length of the pitch.

dannyh
    Free Member

Picture as mentioned above (Lever is on the right):

theotherjonv

Yes it’s part and parcel of the game, but if there’s a risk of loss of life can it be defended?

It’s such a slim risk that serious injury of this type is going to happen, that yes it can be defended.

It’s already been legislated for – umpires can intervene if they believe bowling is overly aggressive / intimidatory, particularly against batsmen of lower ability (which Phil Hughes is not). In kids cricket, up to the age of i think 16 helmets are compulsory for batters and close fielders. So steps are taken to mitigate the risk of serious harm without needing to neuter the physical danger aspect of the game.

I used to open the batting at a reasonable level, and the fear factor of facing a proper quick was part of the buzz of the game. I was crusted a few times, and the clang it makes stays in your ears for a while after. I had to sleep on my right side far more often because the ‘medals’ on the left hand side of my ribs were too sore to lie on! But the worst I saw first hand was when a guy top edged a sweep from a spinner at 40-odd MPH straight into his mouth. Teeth and blood everywhere. Maybe we should outlaw the hard ball instead?

Lifer
    Free Member

I thought they could only bowl a certain number of bouncers in a game?

theotherjonv

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cozSq8XC-LU[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JojnoSO4MDc[/video]

Lifer
    Free Member

Fire in Babylon is one of my favourite sports films. Pure brilliance from start to finish.

muggomagic

Sad to hear this morning that Phil Hughes has died. Condolences to his friends and family.

Pigface
    Free Member

Tragic news RIP Phil Hughes.

anagallis_arvensis

Thats awful news.

theotherjonv

Jeebus 🙁

Thoughts to his family, his friends, and his colleagues.

And special thoughts too, to Sean Abbott, at what must be a terrible time. You are blameless in this tragic accident, and I hope you can realise that. Cricket is a dangerous job, you were doing yours properly just as Phil was doing his. I hope you find peace and can in time return to doing what you do best.

spacemonkey

^^^^
    THIS

🙁

hora
    Free Member

Jesus this is awful news

lunge

Terrible, terrible news. I was completely knocked back this morning when I saw the news. Rest in Peace.

paver456
    Free Member

Sad news, tragic accident. Feel sorry for the bowler sean abbot as this will be awfull for him.

rickmeister

The update no one wanted to hear,

Condolences to the family and I echo the comment from theotherjonv

Sad day indeed.

wwaswas
    jambalaya
    Free Member

A sad day, RIP. Well said @theotherjonv

dantsw13

Shit. Feel for all involved.

jimmy

This bus is a bit dry and dusty this morning. Reading the reaction in quotes on Bbc has got me.

bikebouy
    Free Member

🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Was difficult to listen to Jim Maxwell on R4 this morning.

🙁

psychle
    Free Member

I just knew I’d be able to check STW and find a thread on this terrible news, cricket (and sports) lovers the world over united. I’ve genuinely been in tears at various points this afternoon, feeling real grief and sorrow for a bloke I didn’t know at all apart from a strong interest in the trials and tribulations he’s been through these past years to cement a permanent spot in the National team. Always struck me as a thoroughly decent guy, no whinging about being hard done by by selectors, just got back in the nets and into the 1st Class comp to improve and make an undeniable case for a Test and ODI recall, which he was definitely on the verge of doing, perhaps even for next weeks Test (to replace Clarke if he’s ruled out). Such a tragic event, no blame to anyone, just a horrible accident that underscores just how fragile life is and how unfair and uncaring the fickle fates can be… RIP Phil Hughes 🙁

Lifer
    Free Member

Horrible news, RIP

Junkyard
    Free Member

Sad news and while i have the deepest condolences for his family and his loved ones my heart also goes out to the poor fella that bowled that ball.

As Radio 4 said gonna by hard for him to deal with this and hard for cricketers to bowl bouncers for a while.

lunge

It’s odd how these things affect you. There are millions of deaths in the world every day that pass you by yet every now and again, one hits you hard. This is one of those.

Maybe it’s because I’ve played cricket a lot, maybe it’s because it seems even worse when the guy was doing what he loved, I don’t know. Either way, it’s heartbreaking.

freeagent
    Free Member

Very sad, I hope the poor guy who bowled that ball gets some support – he must feel terrible today.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As Radio 4 said gonna by hard for him to deal with this and hard for cricketers to bowl bouncers for a while.

Very very hard for the guy who bowled the ball I am sure. I would suspect bowlers are still bowling short/bouncers today.

100mphplus
    Free Member

I know it’s been mentioned above, but to me the ‘bouncer’ is just wrong as it’s a deliberate attempt to intimidate the batsman.

The bowler knows when he delivers it that he could harm the batsman, that’s moraly wrong and not ‘sportmanlike’!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Phil Hughes Injury – Cricket’ is closed to new replies.