Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Phew, that was close – nearly bought a fixie…
  • IHN

That chap called Charlie in Dorset who mongs bikes sent me an email yesterday with some cheap fixies. One of them looked the business, and I was veeeery tempted.

Luckily it’s a 56cm, which will be too small for my strapping 6’1″ frame. Won’t it. Tell me it will. It must be too small. Isn’t it. Tell me it is…

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

well it is, yes!

prezet
    Free Member

Might be a touch small – depends on the style of the frame, if it’s track orientated then it’s likely to be shorter in the TT. I’m 5’11” and ride a 56cm Fuji Track.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I turned my trusty pub bike into a fixie, worst decision I ever made. I did manage to sell it on ebay for £229 though so that made it one of the better decisions. If that makes sense.

prezet
    Free Member

Christ no, that screams hipster fixie t**t a bit too loudly…

IHN

I guess that settles it then 🙂

prezet
    Free Member

Phew, close call – next you’d have been wearing skinny jeans, v-neck t-shirts and cardigans 😀

IHN

I meant that settles it, I’m buying one

It’ll go with my man bag and NHS specs 🙂

binners

Please don’t do it. You’ll have to move to Hoxton. And you don’t have a trust fund. It’ll never work

passtherizla
    Free Member

I need another fixie/singlespeed in my life, I look silly wearing skinny jeans, vnecks and cardigans without one!

MartynS

for gods sake, won’t someone think of your knees…

prezet
    Free Member

It’s worse than I thought, they’re breeding faster than chavs…

IHN

And you don’t have a trust fund

But daddy is a retired stockbroker and I shop in Waitrose, is that not enough?

prezet
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_5uVdy5YmA[/video]

Been a while since I listened to this 😀

D0NK

been seeing some quite subtle “normal” (not deep rim or silly narrow bars) fixies in manchester lately. Look nice.

IHN

prezet – I see that video as entirely aspirational 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

Im 6ft 1″ and ride 56cm. If you have long torso short legs syndrome like me, it’ll fit like a special glove.

Im going for a Globe Roll to pacify the inner hipster in me. Tight jeans are unavoidable with my BMI

binners

footflaps

That bike looks completely broken, I can’t see any playing cards in the spokes and there are no skull valve caps – it’s a fake fakenger – don’t touch it!

IHN

Im 6ft 1″ and ride 56cm. If you have long torso short legs syndrome like me, it’ll fit like a special glove.

But I have long legs and a short torso, what kind of glove will it fit me like? A love glove?

binners

what kind of glove will it fit me like?

A Rapha white leather one, obviously 😉

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

a glove with a really long seatpost?

HermanShake
    Free Member

PowerBalance band and backwards cycling cap. That chap is teh sickradz.

Fixed gear riding is fun, but at the expense of your kness (downhill, not up).

I want one of these:

3 speed fixed Sturmey Archer!

Look at bike-discount.de they’ve got Fujis and SE bikes at a good price. The Brev M is a bit….meh.

slimjim78
    Free Member

On a slightly more serious note, when I meet other riders (like you lot) and I really being judged as harshly in terms of what bracelet and gloves im wearing?

bigyinn
    Free Member

HermanShake
    Free Member

Slim, I promise to judge you if I see you wearing a hologram compensator bracelet. Glovewise, I couldn’t really care. I like Royal myself, nice and thin.

footflaps

On a slightly more serious note, when I meet other riders (like you lot) and I really being judged as harshly in terms of what bracelet and gloves im wearing?

Yes.

D0NK

3 speed fixed Sturmey Archer!

shakes head

thepodge
    Free Member

Riding fixed has helped me develop a better pedal stroke.

Mock all you like, those of us that ride them know how good they are

thomthumb
    Free Member

riding fixed ruins my pedal stroke – still enjoy it though.

mcboo
    Free Member

I work in Spitalfields/Hoxton. Fixies are over. Even the Hipsters have proper bikes now.

binners

Yeah, yeah, but what percentage of apparent ‘fixies’ are really fixed? As opposed to looky likee’s?

mcboo – is it BMX’s now?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Slim, I promise to judge you if I see you wearing a hologram compensator bracelet.

what if I just like the look of said bracelet? or it was a present? or I didn’t realise it labled me? or it was some kind of bet for charity?

scaredypants

slimjim – I believe that judgement is in the eye of the beholder, so you’re powerless to appeal against it

(… you big poser)

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I somethimes can be found on a fixie, I live in the countryside and do own a single pair of skinney jeans. I quite like them but they brakes.

nicko74

who mongs bikes

made me laugh.

Get it! You know you want to, and if people shake their heads as you pass, you can feel OK because you have a proper bike at home, you only ride a fixie because it was cheap.

That’s what I do

ashfanman
    Free Member

Two things:

1) What smells bad?
    2) Why is he riding with a giant egg tucked under his arm?

Northwind

I’m not buying one but I reckon that Brev’s completely lovely.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Phew, that was close – nearly bought a fixie…’ is closed to new replies.