Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Ph.D. First Chapter Done
  • GregMay
    Free Member

similar to me then, lots of words, much to be removed. Am quite thankful the weather has been poo or I’d have sacked it off to ride bikes.

Annoys me that my supervisor, who cant understand anything bar MS Word, gets uber cranky at type issues that occur due to writing in LaTex. Then when asked to view a PDF says ‘no, its easier this way’

No sir, it is not.

*deep breath*

IA

Show them how to add annotations to PDFs.

Also, just cos you have comments saying something is wrong/needs to change, you don’t have to go with them! You should be the world expert on your tiny niche, if you can defend something, you can leave it in.

tracknicko
    Free Member

6,000 words chopped out in 3 days. think PhD is better for it, but a bit saddening.

was told to stop working day and night as supervisors had limited resources/were going on holiday and thus my deadline was unreasonable… as they wouldn’t put in any extra hours to read my drafts.

cheers.

GregMay
    Free Member

I agree with not accepting certain edits, there are a few I’ve not been, and refusing to actually 🙂

As for the PDF annotation…dont even get me started.

having a meeting tomorrow, will be the ‘when can I stop writing things’ meeting> I cannot wait.

GregMay
    Free Member

FYI, you can edit an entire chapter, and get an hour bike ride in the mud in with the help of a bucket of haribo.

WIN of an evening actually.

IA

I agree with not accepting certain edits, there are a few I’ve not been, and refusing to actually

A point about this though – you need to be able to talk whoever suggested the edits round to your way of thinking, and agree they were wrong. If you can’t do that, the viva will be tough…

GregMay
    Free Member

need to be able to talk whoever suggested the edits round to your way of thinking, and agree they were wrong. If you can’t do that, the viva will be tough

Agree 100%, had a sit down with supervisor and explained those sections, he understands now, wso we’ve a nice compromise going.

We also agree’d that the submission date, 9th July, was a bit tight for our liking, so pushing back to 1st weekend in August. Annoying, but all the actual words are down, just a matter of making less and a better order.

Strange, but I feel more relaxed due to it. Which is nice.

IA

Strange, but I feel more relaxed due to it.

Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel has that effect 🙂

GregMay
    Free Member

Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel has that effect

I just assumed that was a train coming toward me.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Ph.D. First Chapter Done’ is closed to new replies.