• This topic has 25 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • pH of Baby Poo?
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Our 9 month old recently had really bad diarrhoea last week and the effect on his peachy little bottom is to have literally burnt it red raw. The skin is now peeling off so it was definitely a burn rather than just being irritated.
    I've heard anecdotally that the excess saliva produced during teething causes excess stomach acid to be produced which is then excreted via the faeces. So what is the typical pH of faeces and what happens to it when a baby is teething?

molgrips
    Free Member

That's called nappy rash. And it's caused by damp and whatnot.

Stoner
    Free Member

get some sudocream in there and it'll heal up nice and quick.

I think Ive heard similar about teething and nappy rash, but it comes and goes throughout nappydom anyway.

petrieboy

Yeah always seems to happen when teeth are pushing thru. I find (on the baby not myself you understand) that bepanthen works well when it's really bad. As does letting them run around without a nappy on for a while (if your brave)

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

STW parent in world first shocker. It's nappy rash.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yes Obi-**** I know it's nappy rash that wasn't my question. My question was what causes it; literally his peachy cheeks were blemish free one minue and then 20 minutes later they looked like they'd been burnt by acid or something.

luked2
    Free Member

The pH of stomach acid is pretty low – Wikipedia reckons 1-2. If you had diarrhea I suppose it could still be pretty low by the time it came out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastric_acid

Don't worry, the problems you get with teenagers are far harder to deal with 🙂

elaineanne
    Free Member

SUDOCREAM !!!! works wonders and quick !

M6TTF
    Free Member

We used metanium cream, was even more effective than sudocreme

romster
    Free Member

Our little man suffered pretty badly from nappy rash when he first started cutting his teeth, the fix – thin layer of sudocrem, then a light dusting of talcum powder on top to remove the clammyness when the nappy is on. We did this every nappy change and within days you see the bright red saw-ness dissapear, then within a week, babys bum will be good as new!

trout
    Free Member

BTFU
    Shit happens as does nappy rash has been going on for generations

jahwomble
    Free Member

Second for metanium, it works really fast, seems to work really well as a barrier cream as well stopping the inflamed flesh from irritating the flesh around it. amazing stuff but a basta*d to get off your hands afterwards. If it's as bad as you say, I'd go for that rather than sudocrem,just for the barrier cream effect

valleydaddy
    Free Member

all of the above creams

all down to skin being hot and sweaty and in constant damp conditions so the creams create a barrier.

had this with both girls especially during teething, be liberal with the cream and it will go away really fast and the little dude will be happy again 🙂

romster
    Free Member

BTFU

You can't leave a poor little baby in pain, that's just wrong 😯

Captainnnnnn Cavemaaaannnnnnn!

molgrips
    Free Member

BTFU

So has cholera. Your point is?

To the OP – it's often mentioned that nappy rash is worse during teething. Don't think anyone knows why.

Also, with us it seemed to come on randomly without any change we could tell…

Lactic
    Free Member

Metanium Is brilliant, and more importantly, has titanium in it. Surely that's all any mountain biking parent needs to know?

jahwomble
    Free Member

"it's often mentioned that nappy rash is worse during teething. Don't think anyone knows why."

we were told by a pedeatrician, that it's cos when teething, babies produce a lot more saliva, swallow it and it makes the stools looser and thus the a**e area generally more damp and fetid, and a similiar thing apparently happens when they have colds but with mucus instead, no idea if it's true, but it kind of makes sense.

trout
    Free Member

Did not mean to offend but as valley daddy says
    catch it before it happens with a barrier cream

just like a vacine against cholera

if your arse was sat in a nappy with piss and shit it would get nappy rash

Bunnyhop

Poor mini geetee.
    I think 'cos his skin is so peachy, it'll return very quickly to it's previous state with the aid of 'sudacreme'.

Did it all happen after I looked after him? I have a bad effect on babies? 😳

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah jahwomble except that fluids you ingest end up via your kidneys in your bladder.. can't see why this would not be the case for saliva.. unless it has some other effect on your system.

I don't agree with catching it before it happens tho. My sister puts on sudocreme every change, just because. We've only had half a dozen bad cases, if that.. hardly used any sudocreme.

tr3m5
    Free Member

Our boy had the same, the theory about teething is correct, the excess saliva upsets the PH balance of their poor little digestive system, we tried Sudocream but wasn't great so spoke to the docs and they recommended Metanium, worked like magic! definately get a tube its worth every penny.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Jane you are a sweatheart! He loved meeting you and Julian. You two must be the perfect auntie and uncle.

It's really odd though because this doesn't look like nappy rash so much as a burn. To clarify, he's had the squits the night before, changed him at around 9am next day, bottom was fine, then changed him again about an hour later and it's red raw. Now all the skin has started to peel off.

Anyway, he's chinned his head on the table twice (in the same place) in the last two days and fell onto the edge of the bath, teeth first, tonight and he's still smiling. He's a tough little trooper this one. BTFU? Trout he'd stick one on you! (BTW no offence was taken).

jahwomble
    Free Member

"Yeah jahwomble except that fluids you ingest end up via your kidneys in your bladder.. can't see why this would not be the case for saliva.. unless it has some other effect on your system."

Dunno to be honest, it just sounded plausible to me 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We used Sudocrem and (as everyone above) found it useless. We now use Bepanthen and if the rash flares up, one good lathering when getting them ready for bed and it is usually clearing up nicely by the next day.

I second the comments regarding teething – Evie has a dummy for sleeping and when she is teething (and making the excess saliva) she gets a similar rash around her mouth where the saliva gets caught behind the dummy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nappy rash can look like a burn.

D0NK

she gets a similar rash around her mouth where the saliva gets caught behind the dummy

Think thats just chapped lips due to moisture, afaik saliva and stomach acid production are linked and the stomach acid ends up in the nappy, obviously this wouldn't affect lips.

Never heard of metanium cream and our little one doesn't have much trouble with nappy rash but now I know it contains Ti I'm tempted to get some just in case 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘pH of Baby Poo?’ is closed to new replies.