• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • PG990 cassette or XT
  • jamess156
    Free Member

Im thinking of getting a new cassette, Merlin currently do Sram PG990’s for about £40 and an XT is £46, which would i be better off with? Im running a XTR M972 rear mech and a Sram 991 Hollowpin chain, I like that you can get different colours on the Sram as i would’nt mind a red one but what mostly matters to me is performance, so which is better?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

well my pg990 has lasted me about 4-5 months….put a new xt chain on it last month and thats now knackered..

im going back to xt!

neilneilorangepeel
    Free Member

Two years of daily riding and my PG990 is still going strong, showing only slight signs of wear.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    carbon337
    Free Member

I think my XT may be knackered after about 9 months. Whats the best way to check – other than looking at the teeth – is there a proper way to check?

anjs
    Free Member
    bigyinn
    Free Member

Plus £5.95 postage 😉

logic1980
    Free Member

Just a quick drop in to your post but im looking at the PG990 too but my simple question is can it fit a shimano freewheel?

andyl
    Free Member

yes. will fit.

Also check out the SLX – a fair wad cheaper, not much heavier and only one less gear on the alloy spider.

SBrock
    Free Member

Loved my PG990, it lasted 3 chains……. Then got an XT, it lasted 2 chains and always felt a bit lightweight compared to the PG990!

I got a PG980 on my Butcher at the min – I just prefer SRAM cassettes to Shitmano

anto164
    Free Member

pg990. I’ve always found sram cassettes to last slightly longer than shimano ones. And the sram ones look pimp.

GW
    Free Member

I **** hate SRAM cassettes 👿

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘PG990 cassette or XT’ is closed to new replies.