Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • PF30 – Praxis the only way forward?
  • monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Just noted a substantial amount of play in my PF30 BB, bugger! Luckily the cups aren’t spinning and the play seems to be all in the BB.

So, is Praxis the best way forward? Seems I need a new outer ring too so considering upgrading the heavy arse cranks the bike came with and XTR is calling… Def prefer Shimano cranks, carbon doesn’t seem the best place for cranks?

orangeboy
    Free Member

The praxis bb was good for me , lasted far longer than any pf30 has

toppers3933
    Free Member

Wheels manufacturing also make one now which should be available from any bike shop with a madison account. I’ve fitted a few over the last few weeks and so far so good. They fitted better than the praxis ones too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DickBarton

I’m using a Wheels Manufacturing PF30 – seems to be working very well…was very easy to install and seems to be very reliable (so far…6 months use so far).

fozzybear
    Free Member

We used a enduro BB. Was excellent and had good Seals. Sold with the frame still running sweet.

warns74
    Free Member

Just fitted a praxis to my stumpjumper after all the positive feedback on here, although yet to ride/test it.

Hope now have an option too.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Wheels one needs to be glued in, IME it ‘walks’ out of the frame on the DS otherwise. Bearing life was fairly disappointing on the one I tried. It was noticeably not smooth after just a month or so’s use (which wasn’t much on that bike because of the weather).

Praxxis design is better, as it screws together, so no issues of cups moving. I hope as it’s got bigger bearings it will last longer. Time will tell.

hatter

The New Wheels ones for shimano cranks in PF-30 shells screw together and have Enduro bearings apparently.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Interesting, similar to the Praxxis now, which will be better. Although the centre isn’t an expanding collet, so it’s relying on just clamping force, rather than clamping, and expanding inside the BB shell.

I haven’t checked if the bearings are replaceable on these as yet. Praxxis don’t mention it, so I guess I’ll have to find out via trial and error at some point.

rene59
    Free Member

From Praxis regarding replacing bearings –

BEARINGS – Can I swap out or upgrade my bearings in my BB?
    This is really a two part answer. If the BB is modified or changed from its original state, then the warranty is void. This includes pulling/changing your bearings. Having said that, yes, technically it can be done using professional grade puller/press. So when your bearings reach their End of Life, you simply have to make a choice. If you want warranty/support, buy a new BB. If you don’t care about a warranty and want to change/press your own choice bearings, then go head. We just have to be clear that when you do this, the Praxis warranty has been voided. Early versions of the Conversion BB used a 6805 bearing with black plastic end/spindle caps. Newer versions use a 2437 bearings with our current orange outer seal.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Cheers all, had never heard of Wheels Manufacturing so will check them out. Never thought of Enduro, duh! Check ’em out also.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The wheels one is the same as the Enduro one.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Hope(should be available by now).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘PF30 – Praxis the only way forward?’ is closed to new replies.