Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • PF30 or adaptor and normal BB?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Share your experiences of creaky nightmares, bearings lasting two rides or (hopefully) years of hassle-free riding.

Bonus points if it was on a Spesh Enduro.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I used a Hope pf30 bottom bracket on two bikes. Both lasted longer than the frame itself (non bottom bracket related issues). I would happily spec again. Just sold the 30mm version on here but still have the 24mm version if you’re interested.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you mean to fit a 24mm crankset in a PF30 frame?

If so, I certainly would be interested. Email in profile.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    renton
    Free Member

Not an enduro but on my last Stumpy evo I fitted a Wheels MFG pf30 conversion bottom bracket to run normal 24mm cranks.

I didnt ride it long but it was creak free and super smooth.

Would recommend.

chakaping
    Free Member

good info cheers renton – bonus points also apply for other Spesh models

😉

davosaurusrex

Had a Praxis one on my Stumpy for 600 miles, solid and creak free so far. Bonus points ahoy!

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Stumpy Evo here.

I used the plastic inserts that came with the frame with standard BB cups.

Lasted about the same as any other BB in the Peak District!

Changed to Enduro bearings and they have certainly lasted longer but I’m no longer in the Peak and the grit here is less harsh.

No noise or creaks or any problems at all.

garage-dweller

I have just fitted a new Hope PF30 to 24mm bottom bracket. Hope describe as a PF46.

With the proper Hope tool it was in the frame in less than ten minutes (excluding removing the SRAM plastic thing that was in before).

I’ve put some old, low mileage HT2 XT cranks in.

As onzadog says there’s a 30mm axle version too. I had SRAM 30mm axle double cranks but was thinking single ring long term and wasn’t convinced the SRAM double would give as good a chain line as a single in the middle ring position of my spare XTs. With 30mm I would have ended up buying a single ring crank – so I’ve saved the cost of the crank (sort of!).

It’s on a camber evo by the way. Not ridden yet as I realised the darn jockey wheels had seized on the rear mech after spending time putting the rest of it together. Harumph!

garage-dweller

Oh and the Hope unit is not adapters but a purpose made bb with cartridge bearings.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Tried the wheels one, it was almost as crap as the PF30 BB that came in my old Enduro29. The D/S cup constantly ‘walked’ out of the frame. Wheels suggestion was to superglue it in place…

Praxxis was the only real option back then for something that properly screwed back together for a BB30. It was the best solution I found, but it still creaked in the wet.

I’ve since had two bikes with the BB92 Shimano press fit standard which haven’t had any issues at all. As & when they wear out i’ll put a Hope one in for ease of use.

Dickyboy

Just got a BB30 frame – do people recommend the FSA threaded adaptor – i can then use my old hope BB or should i opt for a complete Rotor BB to convert to 24mm?

matt007
    Free Member

Ive had 2 of the praxis BB30/PF30 (its the same kit, you just throw away the delrin sleeve for BB30) ones, on MTB and road bikes. MTB was a stumpy with a PF30 BB. Was absolutely flawless and creak free for 18 months hard use.

Now running a Token one in the new 2016 stumpy, just because the LBS had one in stock, so far its been perfect. It has the same 2-piece screw together design as the praxis one. Only been using it for 2 months though.

Both of those on the MTB’s were to be able to fit 24mm HT2 cranksets.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Stumpjumper here with a BB30/PF46 whatever you wish to call it.

I ran mine in all it’s creaky glory for eighteen months, opting to turn up the volume on my iPod to filter out the sound of not quite cleanly fitting bearings, sleeves and shell squeaking away.

When I eventually had enough and drifted out the bearings, I found two sets of races with gritty, ferrous material in between.

So I bought a Praxxis works BB to fit my Shimano cranks. Although the drive side bearing is probably on it’s way out, I know that I can press in replacements easily.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘PF30 or adaptor and normal BB?’ is closed to new replies.