Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • PF30 bottom Bracket
  • Hi

My new frame has a PF30 BB shell but I want to run my XTR M980 cranks.

Do I need a PF30 BB and then the wheels mfg adaptor or

the SRAM PF30 to BSA Adapter and fit my normal HT2 BB?

If you’ve used either some ffedback would be great.

Thanks

Rorschach
    Free Member

Use the pf30 to bsa adaptor and a ht2 bb.The pf30 bb’s are universally pish.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack thread, but how deep are the threaded sections on the PF30 to BSA adapter?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    amt27
    Free Member

i got through 3x PF30 BBs in about 4 months, all replaced under warranty, basically the seals failed on the drive side bearings,

the second and third I used which Wheels Manufacturing adaptors and they made the situation worse, trapped dirt and moisture between the adaptor and bearing, also they were a complete pain when removing the cranks, either ceased on the crank spindle or ceased in the bb, actually they got to a state when the BB bearing failed and ceased up completely and the crank was rotating in the adaptor like a shell bearing,

SRAM (through the bike shop) offered me the PF30 to BSA adaptor which I am running now, has been okay but has moved slightly in the BB shell, this is mainly due to the shop not using any loctite (although SRAM say you dont have to) and the SRAM cranks do not lock onto the BB (like shimano) instead use a number of washers and a spring washer to tighten everything together, extra washers have reduced the problem,

basically PF30 is awful whatever setup you end up with, but the wheel manufacturing adaptors were more worse than the PF30 to BSA,

i think the frame comes with a PF30 to BSA adaptor so I’ll give that a go.

Thanks for the help.

woolymonster
    Free Member

Yeah PF30’s are complete trash…the WM adapters have a rep for not being deep enough in the BB shell too, then they rock and/or damage the frame (only been told that, not from experience mate). But, them there adapters are still better than PF30’s 🙂

Hmmm, actually I might be thinking of different adaptors…but any of them are still better 🙂

oldfart

That’s what I’m using on XT cranks seems ok tried the other options they were poo !

STATO
    Free Member

I fitted one of these recently.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/praxis-works-bottom-bracket-converter-prod29259/

SO much better to fit and they spin much more freely, not used long enough to comment on reliability but looking good so far (and bearings replaceable i think, like you can with shimano and aftermarket bearings).

I think other companies are doing similar ideas too.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

I remember reading somewhere that BB30 / PF30 BB bearings tend to basically come with no grease in them. You might therefore get better life out of them by carefully popping off the seals[1], pumping the cages full of a decent waterproof grease and then replacing the seals.

Same goes for many sealed bearings, I believe, as the standard amount of grease is basically useless.

[1] …for some value of ‘seal’.

Alb
    Free Member

BB30 is the worst introduction of ‘technolgy’ to the cycle market in the last 5yrs. Utter pish and avoid at all costs (PF-BB30 is only marginally better).

weeksy

the SRAM PF30 to BSA Adapter and fit my normal HT2 BB?

That’s what i did with the Spearfish. Running a standard XTR HT II BB.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

BB30 is the worst introduction of ‘technolgy’ to the cycle market in the last 5yrs. Utter pish and avoid at all costs (PF-BB30 is only marginally better)

In 1990, we had field-serviceable, grease injection bottom brackets that would last ages if you looked after them. Cup and cone was then replaced by sealed-unit BBs which would ‘outlast frames’ as a friend of mine put it.

Then came external bearings and it’s been downhill ever since.

This is exactly why they’ll be prising my square-taper cranks off my cold, dead feet…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘PF30 bottom Bracket’ is closed to new replies.