• This topic has 20 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by rone.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • PF30 BB's – are they all the same?
  • Leon
    Free Member

Well, obviously bearing qualities are different, but if a BB is a PF30, does that mean it’s compatible with all 30mm axle cranks, or are some different?

I’ve got a pF30 frame (new), and a sram red BB30 crankset (old). Sram BB’s are crap, so I want an alternative, but can’t tell which models are open to me.

Leon

z1ppy

Press Fit 30 (PF30) is a SRAM-developed version of the BB30 system where the bearings are housed in press-in plastic cups, which are in turn pressed into the bottom bracket. So yes it is a 30mm axle system but also is a specific type of bottom bracket shell fitted to your frame
    Gussets PF30 BB for £35 looked the quite reasonable, otherwise Chris King BB or Hope 46 BB are more expensive options. Ordered a hope myself, are they definitely say you can replace the bearings, & have a good following on their std BB

Edit: you can get external PF30 adapters from e-13 (iirc there another one too), these use a longer crank axle, so avoid for your SRAM crankset

Dango
    Free Member
    jaymoid

I’m on my 2nd wheels mfg one. Seem to last about a year for me. On-one were doing them for about £18 the other week which is a bargain. Would recommend.

Leon
    Free Member

good call on on-one. Not the angular ones, but at £20 can’t really complain! Tempted to buy two.

I guess the bit I’m not sure about, is if all the spacers, wavey washers, etc come with the BB, or cranks (I don’t have any), and therefore do I need to buy a certain set for me bike. Hope not as I’ve ordered the wheels one.

Leon

z1ppy

Err Wheels Mfg was the only one I couldn’t remember, as it didn’t have a great rep when I searched… but then you managed 3 year on your 1st SRAM one, so suspect it’ll be fine & at £20, bargain!
    No spacers needed on PF30, the SRAM crankset have a adjustable tension system (or mine does) that you tighten after fitting.

mashiehood
    Free Member

I am currently in World War 3 with my PF30 in a Cannondale frame, its simply will not come out!

DickBarton

Had the angular bearings Wheels Manufacturing version. Just replaced the bearings…then bought a new chainset…so now got it sitting gathering dust…decent bit of kit that seems to last well.

z1ppy

mashiehood, been there, how can a piece of plastic been so firmly stuck.. hit it harder!
    I got one side out with a bearing puller, after failing with the FSA tool/adapter but simply had to bash out the otherside with a drift (no subtlety).

boxxer7
    Free Member

I’ve got a wheels mfg angular contact BB in my Stumpy, good bit of kit, doesn’t creak which is nice. Just replaced the bearings 7 months in, it’s had a hard time and was still spinning just feeling a little rough.

jaymoid

mashiehood – Yeah I had that with my first SRAM one, finally got it out with a combination of soaking with GT85 leaving it a few hours, and then hitting it harder, (using park tool press fit tool and mallet). Can’t really say which one did the trick but may have been a combination effort.

eshershore
    Free Member

After 2 years of grief with my pf30/ SRAM 30mm crank= new bearings every 3-6 months and constant clicking/creaking

I switched to 24mm shimano hollow tech 2 cranks (xt) and praxis works pf30/ht2 BB

No issues ever since 🙂

boxxer7
    Free Member

Forgot to mention I’ve got the praxis works one on my road bike and the bearings have also been changed on that as well, can’t say it’s any better or worse from my experience.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Had the same PF30 shell in my stumpy for three years now.

I just tap out the old bearings with a screwdriver and press in the new ones by hand before using the old bearing and a rubber mallet to tap them home.

I just bought 5 of the bearings for £8.99 from the link below which will last me ages. (normally 6 months). once you have done it a couple of times in takes 10mins tops.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/68062RS-aka-618062RS-Pack-of-5-Thin-Section-Ball-Bearings-6806-2RS-61806-2RS-/320927241124?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ab8c113a4

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

as in 6 months per 2 bearings fitted not 6 months for all 5!

tom85_4
    Free Member

I have the PF30 Wheels Mfg in my stumpy EVO, bearings are shot after 900 miles. Are they easy to tap out as mentioned above? Will purchase some from the Ebay link above.

paganman
    Free Member

My stumpys pf30’s lasts 3 months max. Given up after no5 and about to put a Praxis bb in & use a spare shimano crank I’ve got to hopefully fix the problem

orangeboy
    Free Member

Personaly my pf30 SRAM has survived 18 months ish but does not often get wet
    But did cover a fair few miles.

I’ve just replaced the bearing and kept the cups with some nice enduro bearings

mashiehood
    Free Member

orangeboy – did you have the SRAM PF30?

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Tom85. Yes if you have plastic inserts. Just tap against the edge the bearing sits on from the other side. You will break a small bit of the ridge off. Just keep tapping and the bearing will pop out.

rone

In 12 months: WMF 2200 miles, Sram 600 miles, just put CK in – will hopefully not report back for a while. 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘PF30 BB's – are they all the same?’ is closed to new replies.