Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • PF30 BB, it's my turn mines died.
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

So those who are still running 30mm asked cranks and have stuck with PF30 bbs, what brand did you buy/use and did you use any loctite. There’s nothing wrong with the existing cranks on my 2013 Boardman Pro 29er H/T so don’t want to ditch them unless PF30 really is crap once you’re first set of bearings has died.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Oh man! Please don’t tell me that! I’ve got a £600 odd crankset with a pf30 awaiting a good thrashin on the single speed.

I’ll just wack my ceramic bb30 into the pressfit cups once they’ve gone- well I’m hoping that can be the case of it working the way I want.

patagonian
    Free Member

Hope with no loctite but I may have used carbon paste. Their design actually screws both halves together to form one unit.

z1ppy

I stuck some replacement bearing from my local bearing supplier in but the plastic cups didn’t appreciate being bodged in & out, so eventually fitted a hope bb that been great ever since

Suggsey
    Free Member

Seen the Hope option but made my eyes water, I abuse the Boardman year round and to be honest have been surprised how long the original bearings have lasted! I suspect my cups are the nasty plastic variety that get destroyed when you remove the worn bearings.

davros

Wheels MFG here. Bearings are replaceable with the right tools so you shouldn’t have to remove the cups next time they fail. Probably the cheapest option to upgrade to a better quality one which is serviceable.

PJM1974
    Free Member

BB30 makes a great deal of sense, the cranks will be stiffer and probably fractionally lighter than steel axle versions for conventional BBs.

But SRAM’s efforts at bearings are pretty ropey.

I like the Praxis design, two cups expand an internal collet, which in turn expands within a plastic sleeve. Sorted.

Squib
    Free Member

Wheels Manufacturing for sure, or praxis (just to add, won’t work with 30mm axle obviously!) if the shell is already loose fitting.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 wheels mfg

dai21t
    Free Member

I fitted a chris king bb to my stumpjumper. No problems since. Before that i went through a few sram and one fsa that lasted 1 ride.

rwm1000
    Free Member

+1 wheels mfg

rone

Cheap, SRAM 600 miles , dead.
    Mid, Rotor only just fitted. Can swap bearings.
    Expensive, Chris King – 5000 miles still going.

Praxis on Gfs Czar, that’s been good too.

sillyoldman
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘PF30 BB, it's my turn mines died.’ is closed to new replies.