Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • PF BB92 (Commencal Meta AM) question. I know, I know……Sorry
  • ads678

I know there’s been a thousand threads on press fit BB’s but it’s my first time so please be gentle……

Bought some new XT cranks but then realised I had a GXP BB and they don’t work with Shimano 24mm axles.

I know I need a BB92 and can get an XT one for £20 but should I bite the bullet and buy a hope or other that screw’s in to itself and has replaceable/cartridge bearings?
    Don’t really want to fork out another £80 and more money for a tool, although I might make one of those….

warpcow
    Free Member

Which Commencal? It’s possible a Hope won’t fit a V3 because of the internal shaping of the BB-shell.

ads678

Well that might answer my question then. It’s a 2012 V3!!

STATO
    Free Member

I went through a few cheap ones from on-one before I just got some decent bearings and pressed them into the on-one cups, no problems since.

An issue I found with the V3 BB is the step inside, not many BB fit without cutting off the lip for the internal sleeve.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’m not certain a Hope won’t fit, but that square edge from the shock-tunnel meant I had to take a hacksaw to my Shimano BB to get it to fit. Commencal themselves used Raceface BBs, iirc.

ads678

Aren’t RF BB’s universally mocked, or have they improved?

Stato – Is this the on one BB, http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BBTOKBB92/pressfit-bottom-bracket?

STATO
    Free Member

Yup, that one, you need to hacksaw off the extensions the centre tube pushes into. It’ll die in about a month, it it doesn’t break on install!, so Ive since fitted some SKF bearings which dont use the crappy plastic shim. Like this kit (you need the rubber shields)

nickc

I know I need a BB92 and can get an XT one for £20 but should I bite the bullet and buy a hope or other that screw’s in to itself and has replaceable/cartridge bearings?

I wouldn’t bother, buy a couple of BB92 at a time and treat them as disposable items. I had them on a Shan and they lasted 8-9 months at a time, but they’re easy to replace, you can pretty much put them in by hand.

mrlugz
    Free Member

The hope one definatley doesnt fit.

I tried.

I had my 2013 meta about 18 months and put 3 bottom brackets in it.

Shimano ones are cheap enough, but like already been said, they need a little modification to get them in.

ads678

Cool, cheers for the replies. I’ll probably just go for a shimano BB92 for now then. Or try the RF one as it looks a slightly different shape so might go in without modification. Maybe……

kimbers

Xtr one has been great for over a year and since awful weather

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

After a string of BB92s on my hardtail I’ve ended up with a hope stainless. All of them, including the Hope, seem incapable of retaining grease in wet conditions, but at least the hope doesn’t rust.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘PF BB92 (Commencal Meta AM) question. I know, I know……Sorry’ is closed to new replies.