Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • PF BB, running a spacer for HT II, minor issue/discussion.
  • weeksy

Noticed a bit of crank type noise recently, so took the drivetrain apart and noticed the crank was a bit tough going in and out of the BB.

Had a look and the PF spacer/threaded bit wasn’t quite flush on either side, moved out about 1mm at the top/side. Couple of minor taps and it’s once again flush. I noticed then that the crank was a million times easier to get in/out. Also seems to be running a bit smoother.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-press-fit-30-to-bsa-adaptor-kit/rp-prod71306

I guess the question is… should i use some glue/something to stop this happening ? my LBS fitted it about 8 months ago and this is the 2nd time i’ve had to sort it now, whilst every couple of months taking the BB off and tapping it back in isn’t a major issue, i’d rather not have to do it.

thoughts and ideas ?

SamB
    Free Member

I would suggest not bothering with the adaptors – they clearly don’t stay in place properly. Why not just get a press fit BB to fit your cranks? Something like this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-bb71-mtb-press-fit-bottom-bracket/rp-prod61801

gee
    Free Member

The only options to run a Shimano crank in a PF30 frame is the SRAM adapters or one of the KCNC style BBs – Shimano don’t make a pf30 BB.

weeksy

Answer to that is that i’ve found cheaper BB’s rubbish over the years, despite trying and trying with watching installation vids etc i only get 4-5 months out of the SLX/XT BB’s from Rose. Which for me isn’t really impressing me.

So i decided to take the hit and buy a HOPE, which is lovely and working well (i think). So don’t really want to drop back down to a cheapo BB.

weeksy

gee – Member
    The only options to run a Shimano crank in a PF30 frame is the SRAM adapters or one of the KCNC style BBs – Shimano don’t make a pf30 BB.

Whatever way mine is, that was what was recommended when purchasing by owners of Spearfishes, i don’t know all the correct terminology for PF,BB30 etc, but the above spacers work with my HOPE and the Spearfish frame.

gee
    Free Member

Yours is fitted with the correct parts. I use the SRAM adaptor in my spearfish with XT cranks and BB with no problems.

GB

weeksy

Well the drivetrain is now quiet as a mouse again 🙂

I’ll have to keep an eye on the inserts.

weeksy

Once again, my BB cups/spacers are a little loose, so i’m debating on a plan of switching to a true BB30 solution (at least temporarily for a test)

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/transmission-gears/chainsets-mtb/truvativ-aka-chainset-bottom-bracket.html

This, Truvativ AKA looks like a cheap solution/option for at least a test scenario. I must admit, i’m getting a little frustrated with the spacers not staying in place properly.

Gee, if you’re reading this, (or anyone else) did you use a drive side 3mm spacer when installing ? I’m not convinced my cranks are going through far enough, my little locating spacer on non-drive side doesn’t seem to thread far enough and seems slightly cross threaded now… Grrrr. I’ve got new ones, so no issues there, but again, would be nice to know.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘PF BB, running a spacer for HT II, minor issue/discussion.’ is closed to new replies.