Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Peugeot 307 new tyres needed!!
  • GSI-MAN
    Free Member

I have a 307 1.6 rapier and i need two new tyres.
    Any recommendations!!
    I dont want to spend any more than £130 for the two fitted
    And i am not a boy racer.
    Cheers
    PS I live near Bath if thats any help

molgrips
    Free Member

I would recommend Nokian or anything that is low rolling resistance or energy saving. They do save a bit of fuel, but they also last easily twice as long if not more so save loads of money that way. Dunno if you can get two for that price though, but it’s worth stretching.

Almost 30k miles on my Michelins and 50% wear.

bruneep

Have look at online shops blackcircles, my tyres etc etc and select nearest fitter to you. Call up the selected fitter and ask them to price match or beat the online shop.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Energy saving tyres will have less grip – if you can accept the reduction in safety up to you

molgrips
    Free Member

They don’t have significantly less grip TJ.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Energy-Saver.htm

andyl
    Free Member

I would disagree with the generalisation that energy saving tyres have less grip.

My past experience of Michelin Energies in the late 90s – yes. Horrible tyres.

But my winter tyres are Nokain WRG2 which I bought for the grip but they are also a low rolling resistance tyre and give me better mpg than my summer tyres so I expect their summer low resistance tyres would be even better for mpg and more suited to the summer (winter tyres get a bit squishy).

Speaking to other people about other mainstream makes I believe that their energy saving tyres have come a long way.

I would take a look at MyTyres for starters and see how much something like Uniroyal, Vredestein, Avon, Nokian and Goodyear are. Michelin will cost you a lot. I have some Kuhmo Ecsta sport on the back of the estate and they are working well. Have some Vredestein Sportrac 3’s to go on though but I like to drive hard.

What is your tyre size?

molgrips
    Free Member

But my winter tyres are Nokain WRG2 which I bought for the grip but they are also a low rolling resistance tyre and give me better mpg than my summer tyres so I expect their summer low resistance tyres would be even better for mpg and more suited to the summer

I have WRG2s on the Passat, and because they were so amazing I bought Nokian Vs for summer. They are very good tyres subjectively – slightly more carcass noise than the WRG2s but next to no tread noise – but they are actually slighlty less economical than the WRG2s. Which seems odd but there you go!

The Vs are about 10% more economical than the Dunlop Sports that were on the car when I got it, based on mostly motorway trips.

joeegg
    Free Member

Look at the tyreshopper website.
    I think its run by National Tyres and they have a large selection and the lowest prices i’ve seen including mobile fitters.
    The internet price is not available if you call in at a branch,so you have to pay in advance and book a branch and fitting time.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I drive a 307 1.6HDi and use Falken ZE912 faultless , also on my wifes car too for last couple of years. Very well priced at usually under £130 for 2 fitted.

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/falken/ziex-ze-912

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Kumho KH13s or KU31s – excellent tyres and within your budget. (OEM on Hyundai / Kias)

Taff
    Free Member

I would disagree with the generalisation that energy saving tyres have less grip

Agree and disagree, they take a while to ‘bed in’ and then they become grippy until they hit about the 4mm mark and they are terrible in the wet. That said they last a long time which is good for motorway miles.

Kumho KH13s or KU31s – excellent tyres and within your budget

Definately, used these on my 306 and got them on the 206 at the moment and they are very good value for money and provide good grip in the dry adn the wet. Pretty good [within reason] in the snow considering an all rounder

Northwind

Haven’t been knocked out by my KHs- they’ve got reasonable grip (and very good sliding manners when I’ve got carried away) and as mentioned surprisingly good snow grip (not as good as the real thing, but better than many) But the lifespan’s been surprisingly poor, considering I’m driving a 90bhp Focus. They’ve not been bad but not sure I’d buy them again.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think all energy saving tyres are the same. My Nokians feel quite different to the touch than the Michelins, and are not noisy at all unlike the Michelins.

v8ninety

Of course energy saving, harder wearing tyre have less grip. Why do you think they are energy saving and hard wearing? However, its fair to say that they still have more than enough grip for most normal situations. Ultimate breakaway adhesion around a wet corner at maximum performance not being considered a normal situation for your average medium sized family hatchback.

Everything is a compromise.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Peugeot 307 new tyres needed!!’ is closed to new replies.