Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Peugeot 306 rear wiper fault?
  • stayhigh

Morning All

I wonder if anyone can help with this please?

Yesterday morning as I started the car to drive home the rear wiper started working however the stalk control was not switched on. I tried the obligatory on/off routine without success and the wiper continued until deciding to stop by itself. The front wiper was fine.

At the same time the battery light came on, the clock went off and the electric window wouldn’t do up which was something of an inconvenience as I’d just parked…

A quick google suggested a blown 15A fuse so I drove to Halfords to buy a spare before discovering a spare in the box. The window did back up, the clock came on and the battery light went out however the rear wiper started up again.

This time after a couple of swipes it stopped and there was a noise like a motor trying to turn. As I drove home it did randomly work a couple of times, with the stalk control being off and when I left for work last night did the same thing.

I’ve had a quick look on google/Peugeot forums without much success, there are various mentions of wipers or relays not working and seized motors but not coming on by itself. I think it could be a fault with the motor, hence the whining noise or the maybe the wiper relay itself?

Any ideas much appreciated 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Does it work when you try and use it with the stalk (when its not auto-wiping)?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My 306 rear wiper stopped working over five years ago. I presume it’s a break in the loom where the wiring goes through to the boot but have never really missed the use of it so have never bothered.

neilthewheel

Sounds like an earthing fault or as you say a broken wire. I get all my 306 electrical faults done at my local auto electricians and they don’t charge to much. If you are in the NE of England I can recommend them!

P20

My 307 did the same. It would just randomly turn itself on. One of the many random faults that crap car had

Gary_M
    Free Member

It’s a Peugeot, if that’s the only electrical faults you’ve ever had you’re doing well.

Does sound like an earthing fault but also check the battery cable clamps.

From a long term 307 xsi owner

neilthewheel

307’s have a much worse rep than 306’s for electrical faults. I’ve had a few, but then the car is 15 years old!
    Ooh yes, battery cable clamps like Gary says – they can cause issues.

john_drummer
    Free Member

if it’s coming on at random rather than not working at all, would it not be more likely to be a short circuit, or perhaps a fault in the switch, rather than a break in the wiring?

trail_rat
    Free Member

id check your drain channels under the windscreen are free of debris and your not inadvertantly saturating your BSI with water…

it does sound like somethings shorting out – id be checking and inspecting flex points in the wiring to your rear wiper motor then following it up with basic continuity checks.

more than that – autospark – he will have seen it all before if he is any good , has worked on pugs before and have it fixed in 20 minutes :d

stayhigh

Thanks for the replies all.

Yesterday before I replaced the fuse it wouldn’t work, it did with the stalk control after I replaced the fuse but then began to auto wipe.

This morning when I left work it seemed to function normally however after 15 minutes the clock turned itself off, the wiper wouldn’t function and the battery light came on again. I didn’t try the windows.

I’ve had a look under the bonnet and there is some build up around the battery clamps, I’ll go back out and take a pic. I’ve checked the drain channels and wiring where it enters the boot but can’t see anything untoward there.

[dumbarse mode]What do you mean by basic continuity check?[dumbarsemode off]

I’m in Kent so not sure Autospark would come this far down from Nottingham.

trail_rat
    Free Member

disconnect rear window wiper

replace fuse

if all is good – its something in the rear window wiper/wiring/control module.

sounds to me like you have a short out or a bad earth thats blowing your fuse for half of the car when you give it power.- related to you using the window wiper.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Peugeot 306 rear wiper fault?’ is closed to new replies.