Viewing 3 posts - 161 through 163 (of 163 total)
  • Petrol or diesel?
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

peterfile – Member
    P-Jay, I think the older V8 S4s were horrific on fuel (he had one too), but the B8 S4 is significantly more frugal (with two fewer cylinders too I suppose).

I’ve never driven his car, but it seems to me to be a great compromise between practicality, cost and sporting ability. His running costs are much, much smaller than an RS4…but still high enough to put me off for now. I very nearly bought an S4 Avant (mrs PF works for Audi), but just couldn’t get the numbers to add up over 3/4 years.

The manual B6/7 S4 was worse than the auto…at a motorway cruise they would rev pretty highly for a lazy V8.

RS running costs are somewhat scary. My step uncle had a B7 RS4 that never did more than about 17mpg…the RS6 that came after that was even worse. That had mental running costs.

I thnk well look at an S4 next now that BMW have pretty much killed their 6 cylinder engines.

peterfile
    Free Member

What are you getting? it’s a 2.0 turbo A4 no?

I’m getting 50mpg (when roofrackless) from my Seat Exeo – I only spotted one Petrol version when I was looking which had the same engine as your A4 – I was told 25mpg was the norm for ‘mixed driving’ – my Exeo will get about 40 doing the same.

PJay

I took a snapshot of my DIS when I arrived at work this morning. I’m still trying to work out exactly how far out the DIS is, but from the calcs I have it seems to be less than 10%.

I reckon this is pretty good for a fairly stop start commute in winter, with winter tyres on a relatively big car (avant) with more than 200bhp.

I’ve never had a diesel, but would be interesting to see what sort of mpg a similarly sized diesel would get to on a 15 mile commute.

molgrips
    Free Member

That is pretty good for a big petrol car.

Viewing 3 posts - 161 through 163 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Petrol or diesel?’ is closed to new replies.