Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • petrol mower
  • bigad40
    Free Member

Our new rental house has a massive lawn so I need that most mucho of gardening implements, a petrol mower (bye bye new bike)!
    Just want a reliable push along mower.
    Looked at ebay and even 10 year old mowers are expensive.

CaptainSlow

You can get them new starting at just over £100.

If thats to steep and you want a stripy lawn, I have a cylinder petrol mower I’m looking to sell, located in SE Kent.

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://www.mountfieldlawnmowers.co.uk/

Is where id go – if its that “big” then id look for something with a wide deck and self propelled.

– its not as nice a finish as a roller rear but its plenty reliable and easy to start.

Ive used them at my parents – it recieves no love at all ever just fuel and go.

where as when i was doing it for a living we had hondas / kawasackis / hayter all kinds and yes they lasted longer – but we were cutting many acres a week of grass and servicing them regularly.

If you wash your lawnmower before storing(or get one with a plastic deck) you’ll find it last longer- most of our mowers started to rot out before they gave us any issues with motors or clutches.

deano8
    Free Member

Bought my Hayter Harrier at a car boot sale 5 years ago. Go for a Briggs and Stratton engine and an alloy decked one to avoid corrosion. If you want to spend more and if your lucky to find one a Honda Mower is probably the best manufacturer.
    There’s normally some old chap selling mowers at large sales, you can start them up from cold and have a go. Normally £30-£50 a pop.
    That way you can put money towards a bike too 🙂

matt_outandabout

Keep hunting on ebay, put a ‘wanted’ ad up in your local newsagents etc.
    On eBay we found two matching very old ‘Rover’ (an aussie brand) professional mowers so metal decks and bearings on wheels etc, both with new Briggs and Stratton engines (one not used…) – they cost £110 for the pair IIRC, we sold one to a friend. It is three years in and not missed a beat.

johndoh
    Free Member

Join your local Freecycle group and watch out – you’ll get one from there but it might need fixing.

boblo
    Free Member

Standard STW response: Nonda

Though have a look here for mowers like Nondas but before they went all plastic.

/end of thread

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Rover would be good. For the easy option get a mulching one so no cuttings to deal with. Victa are good too. Forget a new b&q one as they are crap. I’d forget a roller one for basic large area cutting as they are poor in the wet.

Is it worth getting a pro to do it for you? You’d save so much time and it might be cheaper than you think.

trail_rat
    Free Member

aye FWIW at home on my grass i use a monster big petrol hovermower with a 2 stroke suzuki engine.

was run on pure petrol by previous owner befroe i got it FOC …. i deseized it and cut my grass with it ever since – leaves loads of cuttings awa and cuts quite high but then my lawn is bumpy as a bumpy thing

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘petrol mower’ is closed to new replies.