Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Petrol in my Diesel Car
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

Started and driven – arse. Thats all. 😥

badbod99
    Free Member

Drain it, change fuel filter, refill with Diesel, add fuel system cleaner (available on eBay). About an hours work.

Did the same on mine last year.

jeffl

Depends on the engine and the amount of petrol you added. You may be able to top it up with diesel and get away with it.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

Doh!
    Make sure you get it all out. Suck it out using a pump from the return side of the fuel filter – this will clear the petrol from the fuel pump as well. Prime the system with fresh diesel from the same place – this will help you start it. Don’t be surprised if it is a bugger to start – jump leads from a running car will help it turn over quicker and you might have to resort to a sniff of carb cleaner. DON’T use easystart- it is too violent on modern diesel engines.
    Good luck!

Nipper99
    Free Member

Its at a garage after being deposited there by the nice RAC man.I’ve hade diesel cars for over ten years. Numpty.

osteo1
    Free Member

Rac do a wrong fuel service for 200 quid flat rate. I did mine also but ran it on virtually pure unleaded for 30 miles quick clean and it was done in an hour. The dealer quoted up to 500 quid, ouch!

gears_suck
    Free Member

My wife did this in her Saab last week. (Honest!) I pulled the sender unit out and siphoned as much as I could out unfortunately she had driven it until it stopped and I couldn’t get it going again. I dropped it off at my local repair shop.
    4 hours and £40 later was picking it up all sorted.
    As above, I recommend adding some diesel conditioner for good measure.
    Anyone need 35 litres of slightly contaminated petrol. (The car was well into the red when she put the petrol in it.)

Stoner
    Free Member

I did it last year.
    AA wanted £200 to deal with it, so I got them to relay me home for free (under my breakdown policy) and then used a drill powered pump to extract all the petrol from the tank via the sender port. Ive been using the dirty petrol every since in a range of garden tools – mower, flail, chainsaws and strimmer with no problems. It was about <5% diesel.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

Depends on the engine.
    The more modern the engine the more fussy they are.

Before going biking a mate of mine filled his tank with petrol from near the red line in his 2005 tdci modeo. He realised just after he’d done it. Phoned a local mechanic mate who didnt seam all that conserned just said go buy some cheap engine oil and fire that in to thicken things up a little and run it and keep topping up with diesel when you get a chance. It will be fine.

It was fine. No issues

Mondeo engines are pretty rough and ready. so as previously stated depends on the engine

Nipper99
    Free Member

VW Passat. Waiting for the garage to call now.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

Oh, I forgot to mention.
    Now sell the car. At some point down the line the high pressure fuel pump will fail due to the lack of lubrication while running on unleaded. You do not want to be owner at that point (big bill).
    Of course, if you buy another diesel there is no guarantee the last owner hasn’t also mis-fueled it…

franksinatra

I brimmed my wifes 107 last year from red line, diesel in a petrol engine then drove it until it conked out.

Green flag guy did a cash job for me (it was out of hours), he took it back to the garage, drained it and returned car (and diesel) to me for £50.

I was told all sorts of tales of woe and doom about writing off the engine, it will blow in 6 months, the cat converter will be trashed, I have to sell it etc. After a tank of unleaded and some redx from Halfords the car ran better than ever and is still going perfectly 12 months or so later. Didn’t even need a filter change as the 107 doesn’t have one!

growinglad
    Free Member

Did this a few months ago, don’t stress, if you switched it off and it didn’t conk out, you should be okay.

Diesels do make a funny noise running on petrol though, you loose the low down grunt too 😉

Although you will always and I mean always start to have a higher heart rate every time you fill up from now on.

Nipper99
    Free Member

All back and seemingly ok. Phew. Well done to Civic Motoring Services in Swansea for turning out on the b/holiday to sort this out.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Petrol in my Diesel Car’ is closed to new replies.