Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Petrol from thin air.
  • IanMunro
    Free Member

Have we covered this?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/fuel/9619269/British-engineers-produce-amazing-petrol-from-air-technology.html

Anyone seen any figures on the theoretical conversion efficiency?

Pigface
    Free Member

Heard this on the radio last night, thought it was April Fools day.

They seemed quite hopeful that in two years they will be able to make a lot of this fuel.

wwaswas

I can see the creationists being all over this;

“look, it proves you don’t need to bury stuff in the ground for millions of years to get oil, the earth could have been created last Tuesday with a couple of air pockets on it that have magically turned to oil”

IHN

I too heard it on the radio and I too thought it was April Fool’s day

ohnohesback
    Free Member

That technology could be earth-shattering in it’s implications.

GrahamS

Excellent – not content with polluting our air we’re now going to start burning it! 😆

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yup it does a bit April fool like, but it seems to have a pretty big endorsement from iMechE and is on their home page.
    http://www.imeche.org/

Edit/ Scrap what I just said, they’re talking about nitrogen capture on their home-page. Misread the liquidair as petrol.

wwaswas

That technology could be earth-shattering in it’s implications

It’s fracking but with air 🙂

ThePinkster

they had produced five litres of petrol in less than three months

So it’ll take about a year to produce enough fuel for me to drive to work and back for a month? 😉

Good luck to them TBH, I hope they get full backing from the big players in the fuel industry, however my no.1 question is that how much energy is used in production of it? I know they said that if they use renewable power for it it’ll be carbon neutral but what are the real chances of that in the next 20 years?

gonefishin
    Free Member

The fuel that is produced can be used in any regular petrol tank and, if renewable energy is used to provide the electricity it could become “completely carbon neutral”.

Emphasis mine. A potentially useful method of storing energy (and that is a good thing) but not in any way shape or form is it an energy source and a very misleading headline.

fourbanger
    Free Member

5 litres in 3 months….

LeeW

Is it too late to invest?

maccruiskeen

Given they need electricity to make the ‘petrol’ then really they’re making a battery of sorts (all be it a battery that you burn), rather than a fuel – they’re converting that electrical energy into something portable and burnable. Its an interesting exercise but I’m not really clear what its a solution to. Hydrogen and hydrogen fuel cells have been around for about a century and have never found any real practical everyday application.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But petrol is in effect stored solar energy.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Hydrogen and hydrogen fuel cells have been around for about a century and have never found any real practical everyday application.

Petrol is incredibly energy dense, much more so than Hydrogen, plus we already have an infrastructure in place around it. I suppose it’s a way of generating a source of petrol without the need for oil, which is kind of cool but I agree that trumpeting it as some sort of carbon neutral fuel is just plain wrong.

tonyg2003

It doesn’t seem particularly scalable does it. It also probably uses a great deal of electricity. With enough green electricity or whenever we get nuclear fusion energy it might be worthwhile (plus buy stocks in NaOH manufacture!). Although why not use that electricity for electric cars?. Otherwise it’s slightly crackpot.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I guess the obvious advantage is that you don’t really need much infrastructure change. So hydrogen cars / fuel cells / batteries add lots of new individual manufacturing costs.
    But the big question really is how energy efficient is it, how energy efficient does it have to be to be more viable than existing alternative energy sources.

As for scalability, I’ve no idea. It’s currently a research process so saying 5 litres isn’t very impressive may be missing the point.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve built fuel cell powered bikes – the fuel storage is the problem, Air Products get jittery when you tell them you’re strapping a high pressure hydrogen tank to a bicycle 🙂

The matrix storage canisters are much better, but expensive. There are some fuel cells that burn methanol – much better as it’s a liquid so you can tank it, though it’s a bit toxic. They really do the opposite of this process, they crack the methanol to get CO2 and hydrogen, then burn the hydrogen in a fuel cell.

The advantage of this process is that it produces a fuel that’ll burn in unmodified petrol engines – I’m not sure why they’re not electolysing water, though, that seems simpler.

Klunk
    Free Member

looks like cover for a Meth lab to me.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I can see the creationists being all over this;

“look, it proves you don’t need to bury stuff in the ground for millions of years to get oil, the earth could have been created last Tuesday with a couple of air pockets on it that have magically turned to oil”

Nah, don’t me mad.

Earth was created with oil/coal/gas fields already there.

Obvious really.

Alternatively, 1 ‘day’ in the Biblical creation is not a literal day, could be millions or billions of years.

Anyway, I digress.

As you were.

maccruiskeen

Petrol is incredibly energy dense, much more so than Hydrogen

How dense is air though – as resource to mine

Alternatively, 1 ‘day’ in the Biblical creation is not a literal day, could be millions or billions of years.

indeed, and metaphors aside – I think god can make days as long or short as he likes, its one of the perks of the job 🙂 Time’s quite an elastic concept when you’re whisking up a whole universe from nothing (or if you’re building a brick shed). Theres nothing less credulous about a god creating a universe in 6 days than Brian Cox on TV smiling at the sun claiming that pretty much the same thing happen in the second billionth of a second after the big bang.

GrahamS

True, and a useful get out clause for more moderate (sane) Christians.
    But that isn’t what the real young Earth creationists say.
    They claim Earth is around 6000 HUMAN years old.

gonefishin
    Free Member

How dense is air though – as resource to mine

Not sure what you mean by this. In terms of combustion the energy density of air is zero.

Theres nothing less credulous about a god creating a universe in 6 days than Brian Cox on TV smiling at the sun claiming that pretty much the same thing happen in the second billionth of a second after the big bang.

Very wrong. The first part is non falsifiable, the second is falsifiable (although not by me).

bencooper
    Free Member

But that isn’t what the real young Earth creationists say.

Yes, but they’re loons so we can just ignore them. There’s no point even trying to engage with people who lack the ability to think rationally.

joao3v16
    Free Member

it has yet to capture the interest of major oil companies

Well, of course not, they’re still easily generating billions from raping the earth’s fossil fuel resources whilst using speculators to hold the world to ransom with never ending artificially created price rises.

GrahamS

Yes, but they’re loons so we can just ignore them. There’s no point even trying to engage with people who lack the ability to think rationally.

Scarily, that’s a lot of people loons in this case. From the Wiki article:

When asked for their views on the origin and development of human beings, between 40% and 50% of adults in the United States say they share the beliefs of young Earth creationism, depending on the poll.
    The percentage of believers decreases as the level of education increases — only 22% of respondents with postgraduate degrees believed compared with 47% of those with a high school education or less.

bencooper
    Free Member

This is what I wonder about in my more cynical moods – is it that people with the ability to think rationally go on to higher education, or is it that it’s possible to teach people to think rationally?

In other words, is it worth trying to get the loons to think?

molgrips
    Free Member

Given they need electricity to make the ‘petrol’ then really they’re making a battery of sorts (all be it a battery that you burn), rather than a fuel – they’re converting that electrical energy into something portable and burnable. Its an interesting exercise but I’m not really clear what its a solution to.

It’s a solution to energy storage, which is a massive problem. People are always saying that renewable energy is not constant – it’s not windy or sunny all the time. Well now, that doesn’t matter. You can produce loads of petrol when the wind’s blowing, and use it when it’s not. You can also produce it in the Sahara Desert, the middle of the Pacific, Iceland or the plains of Siberia, and ship it to where it’s needed.

It’s a very very big deal! It solves most of the major issues surrounding renewable energy with a single invention. Amazing!

I’m not sure why they’re not electolysing water, though, that seems simpler.

Because hydrogen is really hard to store, and does not give much energy per litre of fuel ie it’s not energy dense.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, but they’re using hydrogen anyway – they’re producing it from water vapour. Why not produce it from water?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Assuming it isn’t just for marketing tosh, it might be that some other part of the process uses a dehumidifier, and water is just a by-product of this.

molgrips
    Free Member

Plenty of water vapour in the air isn’t there? Or had you not noticed your trails being rather damp? 🙂

Also water vapour is purer than other sources of water.

andyl
    Free Member

I’d like to see the power consumption v power liberated but putting that aside chemical fuel is much easier to live with for transport than electrical so if the electricity can be obtained in an ‘environmentally friendly’ manner then it could still end up being very viable.

It makes sense to build things like this and things like water desalination into marine and offshore wind turbines that then work when they have energy input and then pump the resulting product. For desalination you can skip the electrical energy stage and use the turbine to boil the water directly, it is also sitting right in the sea water that it is desalinating.

molgrips
    Free Member

If I were a Middle-Eastern oil producing state with dwindling reserves, I’d be looking at my thousands of square miles of parched desert, and my fuel storage and distribution infrastructure, and be sending some guys with briefcases full of cash to Stockton on Tees.

jon1973
    Free Member

You still beed energy to make the ‘petrol’, so it’s not exactly a solution to the worlds energy crisis. You still need to make the electricity.

tomd
    Free Member

The way this story has been reported in the mainstream media is awful. It’s a method of energy storage, and not a very good one at it’s current stage of development.

The fundamental fact that the media have failed to mention is:

Petrol + Air = CO2 + Water + Energy

They are basically doing this in reverse. It’s not magic, just a chemical way of storing energy.

HermanShake
    Free Member

More detail here: CLICKY

I just had the same April fool response! Hydrogen and carbon are abundant, stick ’em together and what have you got? Bibbidy bobbidy boom!

As the technology is developed the economy of scale improves. Compare the cost of an offshore oil rig and pipeline with the early stages of fuel development. I wonder if the technology will be bought and silenced?

The £1.1m project, in development for the past two years, is being funded by a group of unnamed philanthropists who believe the technology could prove to be a lucrative way of creating renewable energy.

That’s pretty small scale, no wonder they only have a flask of the stuff so far!

LabWormy

Is this Teeside technology radically different from the guys James May showed in a USA desert trying to create petrol from the air, with parabolic solar relectors being the source of energy?

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s also interesting is that many many countries have enough wind/solar resources to produce at least some of this fuel. Rather than the current situation where oil production is owned by a small number of states.

GrahamS

Is this Teeside technology radically different from the guys James May showed in a USA desert trying to create petrol from the air, with parabolic solar relectors being the source of energy?

*looks out at the thick fog hanging over the North East*

I hope so, cos they won’t get far with solar reflectors round here!

teasel
    Free Member

Witchcraft, I tell thee…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Petrol from thin air.’ is closed to new replies.