Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Petition against Planned VAT on Sports Nutrition
  • 100mphplus
    Free Member

Get it signed here;-

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/31893

If the fat bar stewards can stop the VAT on pasties then us healthy lot should shout about this too 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

Meh, hardly an essential and the markup is huge.

100mphplus
    Free Member

That’s the spirit 🙄

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Think I’m with all the pies on this one. We’re all in this river pageant together you know 😉

butcher

I’m surprised to learn there’s no VAT on them already to be honest.

alpin
    Free Member

say NO to VAT on banannas.

tracknicko
    Free Member

markup is indeed more of an issue.

bit of a piss take for your customer base to have to campaign on your behalf for you to continue to sell them chemical shit at inflated prices.

would be more impressive if these companies said they were gonna suck up the VAT increase, or half it.

not gonna happen tho eh?

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m aware this thread is not going the way the OP intended, but why shouldn’t there be VAT on sports nutrition?

I would imagine the few who actually need it, get it free through sponsors anyway.

tracknicko
    Free Member

agreed.

mrmo
    Free Member

so why shouldn’t pasties be Vatable? Are we trying to keep pie eaters fat?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

VAT should be on it.

So im oout!!

hmanchester
    Free Member

I’ve signed this petition and have also sent a letter to my MP.

It’s been deemed for better or worse that some foods should have VAT and some should be exempt. My issue is that pasties and jaffa cakes fall on one side of this line and whey protein powder the other.

MSP

Even as someone who spends a fair chunk on energy drinks and bars through out the year, this is really low on the list of things I would sign a petition for or write to an MP about. I mean really really low on the list, somewhere between the frequency the grass is cut at the local park, and the shade of hi-viz yellow worn by local policemen.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MSP, +many.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Well, Milk is still zero rated – so you could always drink some of that. 😉

Regards the sports nutrition factor, I wonder if they should just go the whole hog and introduce a special ‘bad science’ tax on all Placebo’s?

tracknicko
    Free Member

i was of the impression that VAT free was for FOOD. like proper food.

whey protein is not **** food. you don’t NEED it.

i’m more upset that ice-cream isn’t VAT free, that’s almost a proper food.

now.. how do you start a new petition…?

mrmo
    Free Member

i was of the impression that VAT free was for FOOD. like proper food.

like hot pasties and jaffa cakes?

tracknicko
    Free Member

yurrr. YUMMY!

at least they are arguably foodstuffs tho.

compared to say a spoonful of high 5 powder?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I suppose the key here is the difference between food as “nutrition and fuel for everyday existence” and food as “performance enhancement for those lucky enough to be able to take part in sporting pastimes”.

The latter are not “basic food items”, hence really shouldn’t qualify for a tax reduction.

nosedive
    Free Member

so lets get this straight, the NHS is being asset stripped, we are sacking all of the police that we spent the last 10 years training, schools are falling apart, and meanwhile the government is still involved in a pointless foreign occupation and their main budgetary priority is cutting tax for millionares.

and you want to sign a petitition about paying 20p more for a gel?

hmanchester
    Free Member

Why is whey protein powder not a food?

It’s made from processing milk so does this rule out butter, cream and cheese as foods too?

mrmo
    Free Member

i have signed because they won’t tax pasties, but really they should simplify the whole system.

If it has been processed vat, if it hasn’t, no vat. Buy a cake Vat, buy flour, eggs and sugar, no vat.

tracknicko
    Free Member

maybe i’m bitter as i have yet to find an energy product that doesn’t rot me from the inside out.

dirty stuff! send in the tax monkeys i say!

tracknicko
    Free Member

mrmo why does it need simplifying if you’ve just explained it in a single sentence?

for government policy that might be one of the simplest ever made!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

There is already VAT on energy foods that contain chocolate so why not on all . Why should a cliff bar be VAT free but a flapjack 20% VAT . I was under the impression that this was primarily aimed at the likes of Monster energy drink but could be wrong .

mrmo
    Free Member

mrmo why does it need simplifying if you’ve just explained it in a single sentence?

because that isn’t how vat on food works, biscuits Vat cake, no Vat, Hot food/ Cold food sometime vat sometimes not.

It is a stupid system, and as it is stupid and the government is only interested in screwing me and giving to the rich i am not interested in paying more.

tracknicko
    Free Member

ha ha ha.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Solid argument tracknicko

tracknicko
    Free Member

cheers. sorry i was most amused by mrmo ejecting his toys from his pram.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

it is a stupid system, and as it is stupid and the government is only interested in screwing me and giving to the rich poor i am not interested in paying more.

😉

mrmo
    Free Member

it is a stupid system, and as it is stupid and the government is only interested in screwing me and giving to the rich poor i am not interested in paying more.

Considering they are cutting benefits doesn’t’ look that way does it?

Harry_the_Spider

No VAT on cat food, Tuesdays, monorails and the knobbly bits on old school bannisters!

Light the bins boys!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Tell you what mrmo – interesting experiment

You send me a fiver in the post

I’ll send you 50p back

Then we’ll decide who’s giving money to who? According to you, I’m giving you money, so we should all be happy, sound fair?

Back on topic however… I actually like your plan, but what counts as a processed item? how about Milk (pasteurised gets VAT, unpasteurised is vat free? How about cheese?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Petition against Planned VAT on Sports Nutrition’ is closed to new replies.