Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Pet trackers – any good ?
  • hels
    Free Member

I am moving 200 metres along the road, and will be closer to a busy traffic road. I am worried that the cat will a) go back to where she thinks she lives b) play in the traffic.

I am looking at pet trackers, there seem to be two kinds, the GPS one you can see where she went on the computer or your phone (some you have to find the cat and download, which seems kinda pointless) and the kind that send a signal to a locating machine, so you can wander about beeping until you find her.

Anybody used any of these ? Any good ? How long on average did it take your cat to get the collar off ? (my averages 2 days with any collar I have tried so far)

andyl
    Free Member

how do you know your cat doesnt currently go that far anyway?

Follow the normal procedures with moving a cat to let it re-establish it’s base and see what happens. It is a bit more risky in your case as you are still close to your cats old neighbourhood and the same local cats but it will probably adjust and make the new home the new centre of it’s patrol area.

Can’t help much on the tracker but there are some GPS ones that let you check the location live but they will need a cheap network connection and for occasional checks a basic pay as you go might work fine, especially one with bundled data or sms depending on how it works.

hels
    Free Member

Thanks Andy – she used to go that far – would follow me to the bus stop some mornings, but is getting on now (13) and has few teeth left, so doesn’t pick a fight unless she can win it !

One of the products lets you “beep” the cat – claims that if you make her associate the beep with food, she will come when summoned. Aye, right !

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

One of the products lets you “beep” the cat – claims that if you make her associate the beep with food, she will come when summoned. Aye, right !

Our cat comes when you call him!

I’ve looked at the tracking things in the past out of curiosity, but they al seem quite big compared to the cat. Also, hows it supposed to stay on top of the cat with a normal collar?

footflaps

We have the g-paws GPS tracker. Works pretty well. Doesn’t give 100% coverage as it often can’t see satellites if the cat curls up under something, but we get a decent enough track of where they go. Pretty small too:

andyl
    Free Member

Our cat comes when you call him!

Ours too. But then he does think he is part dog and goes out to pee with the dog in the morning on the grass instead of doing the usual cat behaviour.

I think the association with a noise could work quite well. Just needs some training and for the cat to not lose the collar.

Footflaps is that one you download or can you connect to it live?

hels
    Free Member

My cat will come when I call her, but only if she wants to. We had a good run with opening a can of tuna at the back door, but then she figured out if she didn’t come in when I called she might get some tuna, so would lurk under the neighbours deck until she heard the tin opener. I nearly missed an international flight when she pulled this trick, cost me £195 in parking charges due to mad airport dash and not enough time to abandon the car in town.

The g-paws one looks good will check that out.

footflaps

Footflaps is that one you download or can you connect to it live?

Download. To connect live would need a radio link on top of GPS, which is getting to be a lot of electronics and would need a large battery etc

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Pet trackers – any good ?’ is closed to new replies.