Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Pet lovers – urgent help needed
  • Gooner
    Free Member

we are looking after our neices hamster while she is away on holiday and it has escaped from its cage

any suggestions how we can entice it back?

it was in the kitchen and got behind the kitchen units and it now sounds like it is in the kitchen roof space Ono access to the part it is in)

oh and neice back tomorrow!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Put the cage as near as possible to where the hamster is and it’ll go back home when it’s hungry/tired. Similar thing happened to ours when staying with my sister-in-law. Hammy chewed through the cage and escaped. Filled up on a corner of their new carpet 🙄 and then got stuck (due no doubt to the amount of carpet fluff ingested 😉 ) trying to get back into her cage through the same hole she’d made. Good luck!

geoffj

Picture of hamster + tour of local pet shops

cynic-al
    Free Member

try and block off access to the outside world.

Then put a basin/bowl in the room it can access, put some food in it and a ramp to it. With luck the hammy will come out once you’re all in bed, climb into the bowl but won’t get out.

Worked for me

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

You want to hope it isnt hungry cos it may try to gnaw away at cables etc.. How could it get into the kitchen roof space ? I think your best bet is to phone the vet 2moz and find out what might work .. maybe for now leave some illumination near the hole you think it went into .. it may head for the light when its hungry…

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Put a ferret in the hole to chase it out

jimmy

ours used to do that and then only came out at night. mum used to camp out in the kitchen until it appeared, bag it and go to bed / make breakfast.

good luck.

Gooner
    Free Member

we think it got behind the kitchen units and then up behind the plasterboard into the kitchen roof. the part he is in does nt have an access

grizzlygus
    Free Member

If you got the patience, I would sit very quietly in the kitchen, you’ll be surprised how quickly they will make an appearance once everything has gone quiet. I would possibly even sit in the dark for ten minutes or so with a torch at the ready. They tend to follow the route which they took back, so unlikely to get lost – I guess they go by sense of smell ie their own scent. Good luck.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Vaccum cleaner

tinribz
    Free Member

The sloping bucket / ramp and trail of sunflower seeds used to work for us. Although I had a friend who had one living under their floor boards for months.

Gooner
    Free Member

thanks for the advice
    we left his cage near the access to the kitchen units and in the night “podge” found his way back into his cage and went to sleep!

he is now safely tucked up and we are eagerly awaiting the arrival of our neices!

brant
    Free Member

Toby’s hamster used to sleep in the kitchen as it made such a racket. One night Toby woke up shouting – Nibbles had got out of her cage, climbed up the steps, climbed up the curtains and climbed into Toby’s bunk bed! Remarkable.

Nibbles got eaten by Beck, our “fostered” greyhound yesterday evening 🙁

Beck is going back to the greyhound rescue centre today.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Go and buy a new hamster ?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Brant, in all fairness, did you make it clear to Beck that his new life was conditional on not eating hamsters? From his point of view, he’s fianlly achieved what he’s been trained to do all his life; he caught the little furry thing.

brant
    Free Member

Oh OD – I completely appreciate your point. Thankfully it was only ever intended as a short term foster, to give him a break from the greyhound centre, and the irony of the situation shall show itself through some black humour in the future.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Glad ‘Podge’ is safe :-).

brant – Member

Toby’s hamster used to sleep in the kitchen as it made such a racket. One night Toby woke up shouting – Nibbles had got out of her cage, climbed up the steps, climbed up the curtains and climbed into Toby’s bunk bed! Remarkable.

Nibbles got eaten by Beck, our “fostered” greyhound yesterday evening [:-(]

Bailey did similar when someone left her cage (which was in the kitchen, on my PC desk) open. Climbed the stairs and my son thought he’d had to much WKD when he spotted her running across the floor in his room. She managed to avoid the cat though.

RIP Nibbles.

woffle
    Free Member

When I was younger ‘Hammy’ was pootling around the floor in his little ball, in came my slightly myopic grandfather, took one look at the ‘football’ and kicked it through the barrier of books and down the stairs before shouting ‘goal’ and cheering himself.

I’ll never forget the look on my brothers face (it was his hamster).

(the hamster was quite alright btw)

Sandwich

If all else fails one of these will work

8)

spooky_b329

Think yourself lucky…couple of years ago we lived in a rented flat. Heard scratching in the ceiling a few times over several weeks, eventually worked out that a rat was getting out of the sewer via a broken drain cover, into the house through vent brick that had been enlarged to get an aerial cable through, then up behind the kitchen units alongside the waste pipe, into a partition wall and up through the insulation, and into a boxed in area over the kitchen wall units 🙁 As it moved around bits of chewed up newspaper would drop down alongside the cooker extractor 😯

My brothers hamster had a close escape a while back, it was loose in the bathroom whilst its cage was being given a good clean in the bath. One of our cats got onto the window ledge and jumped in through the window, grabbed the hamster and tried to escape back outside. Luckily someone managed to give the cat a good swipe before it got out and it dropped the hamster in shock!

Over the years it also turned up with a goldfish and next doors guinea pig…how the hell it got that through the cat flap I dont know!

hora
    Free Member

Cat?

timdrayton
    Free Member

my sisters hamster got out of its ball in the kitchen and got into the back of an old washing machine while it was on.

the result was a paté like splattering on the tiled wall behind the washing machine.

and an upset sister.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Pet lovers – urgent help needed’ is closed to new replies.